We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

And is it still produced?

I purchased it as part of Woolworth's 'pic and pac' assortment that was sold by weight.

Each piece was about the size of a thumb. The candy was individually wrapped with green and silver stripes.

The candy was champagne coloured with chocolate inside.

I know that Woolworth's is out of business and Needlers acquired by Ashbury Chocolates.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Hi letsgo000.

You've got me thinking. Needlers was a sweet factory in Hull. It closed down a few years ago and houses are being build on the land.

Going out walking today with a friend who is in the know! I will try and find out for you.

ian480.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/neefler's

Edited: 21 April 2010, 07:15
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/needler's

secound time lucky.

ian480.

or maybe not.

Edited: 21 April 2010, 07:18
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Disclaimer - I've not checked the links above!

Sounds like Chocolate Limes to me!

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=chocolate+limes&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= lots of versions!

Not my favourite - Chocolate Eclairs are much scrummier!

A

xx

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
293 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Input is helpful but no answer yet.

When I purchased the candy, the wrapper had distinct silver and green stripes.

Some background, but will probably not help identify the candy.

I purchased the candy in 2003 at the Woolworths in Dorking as part of the 'pic and pack' assorted candies sold by weight. Returning to the US we had a few candies left that my wife had not eaten and gave remaining candies to our children.

This month our daughter opened the last candy and told us she loved them and wondered if we could get her more on our next trip to the UK. When she took the candy out of the wrapper, the wrapper basically crumbled into many tiny pieces since it had been seven years and the candy had been in all sorts of containers and weather conditions.

So I used magnifying glass and tweezers to piece together enough to see name 'Needlers LTD'

By chance, anyone on the forum who might have worked for Woolworths, or Needlers?

Thanks William in Colorado

Essex
Level Contributor
26,991 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Chocolate Limes are YUM, but they are green coloured on the outside. You can still get them, though not Needlers, even Tesco sell their own version in bags in their sweet aisle.

Wonder if they are Chocolate Butterscotch?? At least these are 'buff' coloured on the outside:

treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/Chocolat…

Essex
Level Contributor
26,991 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Could be chocolate eclairs, Cadburys make them too:

handycandy.co.uk/cadburys-chocolate-eclairs-…

Needlers no longer exist so you will just have to hope that some-one knows from memory which ones you mean.

(NB it was Pic'n'Mix, not Pic'&'Pac)

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

My first thought was that it sounded like a Chocolate Buttermint - what did the exterior taste/smell like?

The green and white striped wrapper suggests "mint", the champagne colour of the (hard, suckable?) exterior suggests "butter".

Chocolate eclairs are something quite different, the chocolate is embedded chewy toffee/caramel.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,691 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

If my (reasoned) guess is correct..............

Buttermints, with or without a chocolate centre, are a popular form of confectionery (anyone remember Murraymints, the "too good to hurry mints"?) and are still available. I cannot suggest any brand names as I haven't bought boiled sweets recently, but if you ask for Buttermints or Chocolate Buttermints in any U.K. sweet shop the request will be understood and something produced.

Northamptonshire
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

Not sure what the sweet is called but Needlers was taken over by Ashbury Chocolates.

Ashbury Chocolates are located in Corby, Northamptonshire. UK

There telephone number is +44 (0) 1536 401229, if you wish to contact them.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,814 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the name of a particular Needlers candy?

We have a old fashioned sweet shop in town (Hull), I'm catching a train tomorrow and will be nearby. I will pop in and ask them if they know the name and if there are still made.

ian480.