We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

Kuala Lumpur
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

Hi there, I will be travelling to the UK soon and would love to take a road trip from London to Scotland. I would like to know how car hire companies deal with speeding tickets and such. For example, do they know instantly from the moment you return the car that you've had a traffic violation? Or does it take a few weeks/months down the line before they notify you that you've been cited? Or do the traffic police deal with you directly?

I have absolutely no intention of breaking any laws, but in the chance that I get fined for say mistakenly going above the speed limit I would like to know how I can settle the payment quickly. I don't suppose they expect you to be back in the country to pay the fines so how does one do it when you're back in your home country?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

The hire company has your credit card details and puts the fine on there, when it gets it from the Police. Sometimes they'll add an admin fee as well..

"Simples".

Kuala Lumpur
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

peterscot,

How soon after you return the car would you know if you've been cited for anything? If I truly did violate any traffic regulations I'm willing to pay up and get it over with quickly. I just don't want it to hit me long after I've returned home.

And would the hire company notify you of any traffic violations before charging you? I imagine that would only be the right thing to do.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

If the fine attaches to the car (e.g. parking offence, congestion charges etc) the hire company will pay the fine and will charge your credit card accordingly. They will invariably add a substantial administration fee (£50-£100) which may be more than the fine itself. These fees will be specified in the small print on your hire agreement.

If the fine attaches to the driver, the hire company will get a formal request to notify who was driving. Once again they will charge you a substantial administration fee for dealing with this but their charge will not include any fine. The authorities will then decide whether to proceed with any action against you as the driver. In most cases they will not pursue the case if you are not an EU resident.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

Hi mushhead81.

I got a speeding fine while driving a hire car in Auss.

Offence Date 18 Dec 2008.

Issue Date 9 Fed 2009.

They got my address from the car hire firm. I do believe car firm charged me a few Dollars for there"paperwork"

I just payed it with my CC details by Post, no big deal.

I do believe if you don't pay the fine they might catch up with you next time you visit the UK and have your passport scanned.

ian480.

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

No straight answer.

Some fines you will know of immediately, i.e. if you are stopped by the police and they issue a ticket. That will have details of how to pay on it, you can not pay on the spot (as you do in France for example.) If you do not pay then the hire company will be informed and they will process as mentioned before.

Others, will take time to process and they will be sent to the vehicle's registered keeper - the hire company. Who will then process as the other posters have said. These types of fines are speeding cameras or other automated system.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

I may get shot down in flames here, but it is NOT easy to mistakenly go above the speed limit.

And just about EVERY camera is clearly signposted in advance and is in a big yellow box at the side of the road.

With a few exceptions (eg a 30mph zone suddenly becoming a 20mph zone outside a school), most speeding is DELIBERATE.

Parking can sometimes be a problem, but again, it is only a tiny of minority, imo, that get fined for breaking the rules. Park sensibly and you will not be fined. I've been fined for having 2 wheels on the pavement on a narrow road. I thought I was being helpful, but I broke the rules. So that's one mistake out of thousands of attempts.

If you have no intention of breaking the rules, why worry about it?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

Peterscot

I'm not going to shoot you down in flames because I whole-heartedly agree.

Kuala Lumpur
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

Thanks for the responses!

ian480, the Australian police seem pretty efficient in that sense. Is it as straightforward in the UK, i.e. CC details, pop in the post, settled?

As for my first statement regarding mistakingly going over the speed limit, I'm just relating what it's like in Malaysia where I'm from. Where cops with speed radars hide in bushes and trap cars that are coming down an incline on the motorway (which will undoubtedly be over the speed limit for a short moment). Yes, it's dumb like that. :D

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

Police in the UK tend to have other things on their mind.

An exception is my local park, where the police keep themselves very busy with radar guns and issuing parking tickets. Not sure why a park needs a permanent police force (as there is little crime, but maybe that's because of the police presence?), but that's a different question.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED - don't speed through Bushy Park - you will get nicked!

10. Re: Driving in the UK - what if you get fined?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2010, 06:17