We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

West Coast NZ
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

After three days in London we want to hire a car from somewhere a little out of London but not Heathrow. Place would need to have good transportation from London (train?) and I guess large enough to have some of the major car companies.

We were also considering visiting Hampton Court Palace and possibly Kew Gardens after pick up so would need to be that general area.

I was thinking Slough, only because it was only largish place west of London I recognised in pick-up options. But think that is maybe too far west.

It is very frustrating on the rental car sites when you don't know where the places are. A map showing locations would be simple to do and a great help but are few and far between.

Staying near Euston / St Pancras in London if thats of any consequence.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

If you are going to Kew/HCP, you should be able to rent a car from somewhere like Richmond, Kingston, or Surbiton, which have good train links to London, and are only minutes from those attractions. (However, most renatls will be from Heathrow.)

When searching, try www.yell.com - online Yellow Pages. You can search by location and see the results on a map.

London
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

Where do you intend to go once you have the car? That will make a difference to suggested pick up points.

By the way. Trust you realise that it is simpler to get to Hampton Court and Kew from central London by public transport than by car?

West Coast NZ
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

Thank you rcspeirs. We will be heading west for Devon/Cornwall possibly through Basingstoke. No, I didn't realise that HCP and Kew were hard to reach by car - why? Just thought if we picked up rental somewhere other than Heathrow (cost) but reasonably close by, we could then visit HCP and afterwards be on our way!

London
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

Hampton Court and Kew are both well within greater London - so you get all the congestion and parking hassle that comes with that, Kew in particular can be hard work by car - traffic pinch points at both Richmond and Kew Bridge.

I noticed you rule out Heathrow as a pick up on cost grounds. Have you done sample bookings? I don't find Heathrow rates more more expensive than other locations. Whilst in some countries, airport surcharges are a significant element in the rental cost, for my rentals I've never seen them add more than a couple of quid to rates in the UK.

(That said - I'm no fan of Heathrow for pick ups as the rental offices are off the Bath Road, not near tube station, and the shuttle bus faff is a nuisance)

5. Re: Suggestions please for car rental pick up location ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 06:16