We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

Camberley, Surrey
Level Contributor
19 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

Please can anyone help us, we are a bit desperate 

We don’t celebrate Christmas, really loathe it and have for the last 9 years gone abroad to escape it, however a new job means no leave, so I’m looking for a hotel in the UK that provides anti Christmas breaks, somewhere we can go and not have tinsel, turkey and festivities forced upon us. I can’t find anything on the net, appreciate it may be a little early, but then can’t believe that there isn’t a single hotel out there not providing a non Xmas break, I know a lot of people would most likely like to escape family and festive.

Any ideas, or any hotels looking to offer a break such as this??

Cheers

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

What a strange attitude. I can understand that some people don't want to celebrate Christmas, but the urge to lock yourself away somewhere you can pretend it isn't happening is a little odd. Why don't you just stay at home and do what you want to do? (and wait for a visit from 3 ghosts...) ;-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

I can sympathise having been coerced into singing Christmas Carols at one place I've stayed. I felt a bit of a fraud. Bah Humbug!

Try this place -

http://www.holyisland.org/

They are bhuddists, so don't think Christmas (or turkey dinners) feature in their activities.

Camberley, Surrey
Level Contributor
19 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

II find it a little odd, you responded to my post, you are a very judgemental person.

Please don’t respond to my post unless you have something relevant to say regarding my request!

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

Tbh I agree with the above post - why not stay at home? One of the pleasures of Christmas time I find, unless you have to work, is that you can shut your front door and do whatever you want for a couple of days with no expectations from anyone else.

Why not do just that and save money on a hotel. Stock up on DVD's to watch or video games or whatever it is you like to do so you don't have to watch Christmas TV. Get in some nice food and drink, doesn't have to be turkey and mince pies, take advantage of the quieter roads, towns etc.. and go for a walk or a drive. I would have thought the run up to Christmas is the worse in trying to escape it. The day itself is pretty easy to ignore it!

Edited: 12 August 2010, 11:10
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

Not really, it just seemed odd to be fleeing something you don't want to participate in when you can just not participate. There are no queues of British muslims or hindus at the airports at Christmas trying to get away from a celebration that is not important to them, they just stay at home and do their own thing. Which is what I was suggesting you should do. I'm sorry if my attempt to save you money offended you.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

Another option is to book a cottage for a week. Prices are always higher at that time of year, and you will probably need to book somewhere for the whole week, but it means you can hole up in the middle of nowhere and go for walks. You don't need to be in the middle of nowhere, adn could stay in a flat or house in a town, but the more people around you the more likely you will spy a bit of tinsel ...

sussex england
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

You are definitely not alone ..... I find the whole thing rediculous. No one believes in christianity, no one cares about the poor or sick just about spending money they haven't got on things no one wants. More wasted on too much food and drink just to show thay are enjoying themselves ! I have looked at a cottage or similar away from it all just to do what I like such as reading, walking or just chilling out alone but they are overpriced just because its Xmas. By the way I'm married with step children at home and have 3 grown up children of my own nearby. Good luck it would be nice to know what you decide to do.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 21:30
8. Re: Non / Anti Christmas short breaks in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:32