We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to the UK should it be London?

Queensland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Moving to the UK should it be London?

4 of us are thinking of moving to London but we've heard its too expensive and gloomy. We want somewhere with nightlife & sights & where we can get a half decent job as well. Any suggestions where?

Also we are going to London for new Years but have no idea where to start to look...

Please help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

Well, it's expensive, that bit's true.......but on the flipside you'll find it massively easier to find work in London that most places in the UK, purely because of the size of its economy (a city of 8 million and millions more coming in and out each day to work) and the fact that it has a large transient population, so there are always people leaving, something that creates opportunity for new people to find jobs. Also a large expat community of your compatriots, of course

As for gloomy, it depends what your sources mean. If it's the weather, well it's no better or worse than the rest of the UK (actually the southeast of England is the driest part). If it's the nature of the people they mean, I kind of think a lot of that is up to the person coming in. This place is a melting pot, so sure there are lots of miserable people, but plenty who aren't :)

There's nowhere else in Europe that's as fluid or large an economy, or one that's easier to find work in; plus of course for you guys there's no language issue. That's why London is full of Aussies :D

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

>We want somewhere with nightlife & sights & where we can get a half decent job as well.

Well London has far more nightlife and sights than any other city in the UK.

But it IS expensive so you have to decide if you are willing to pay the money for rent etc or live elsewhere in the UK. I think the cost of renting a place (and the size of place you get for the money) will horrify you.

Also it depends what you mean by "half decent job".

Do you have any qualifications? Are you looking for a job in a particular industry?

We are suffering a recession over here so people are being laid off and losing their jobs, however there are always jobs going in London, but also lots of people looking for them.

"Gloomy" can mean a lot of things. The place or the people, or both?

The place itself is not gloomy, millions of tourists come to London every year and love the place.

But many people also spend a long time getting in and out of the city to get to work and they can go into "robot" mode while sitting on the train or walking to their place of work, so they can look gloomy.

But there are lots of little "communities" in London and people who live near each other and know each other can be as friendly as any other people.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

>Also we are going to London for new Years but have no idea where to start to look...

To look for what?

Somewhere to spend new years eve?

Loads of places do New Years Eve events but they can be very expensive, and the taxis afterwards can rip you off as it is New Years Eve.

They do a huge fireworks display alongside the Thames each year, and also many people gather in Trafalgar Square on New Years Eve to celebrate it.

This was last year

…bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8436065.stm

Edited: 19 August 2010, 08:01
Queensland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

Hey

thanks heaps for this. We are actually wondering where to book for accommodation in London. We don't even know what area to look at?

thanks heaps

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

Katie, I hope you're not looking for a job that requires initiative ;-) . If you use the search forum on this website, you will find lots of suggestions for where to stay, but a huge amount will depend on your budget - Youth hostels are cheapest, then B&b's and budget hotels like IBIS and Travelodge. You could also look at this website which is a magazine for Aussies in London

http://www.tntmagazine.com/

I suggest that you also spend some time studying a guidebook from your library and adjust your expectations regarding climate - N.Europe has fewer hours of sunshine than Australia and that is never likely to change. You should also look into the visa situation if you are coming to work.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

Do some research!

Use the internet and read some guidebooks to decide what you want to do/see at New Year and the best place to stay for that. Then find out what you can afford in that area.

There is a good public transport system so if can only afford to stay outside central London that's nothing to worry about.

There are tons of Aussie in London, don't you know anybody who's been who can tell you about costs, areas, jobs etc?

Sounds like you are thinking of moving to London but know nothing about it so a visit first sounds like a good plan.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 09:43
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,981 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

I may be wrong, but I think Pool lounger meant N Europe has fewer hours of daylight *in the winter*.

In the summer, it will have more. Queensland, being in the tropics, tends to have the same length of days throughout the year.

I've met several Australians who were unaware that this variation happened. I remember suggesting to newly-arrived friends on December 23rd, that we would set off the next day at first light, only to find my visitors getting ready to go at 6am.

Katie - you haven't got off to a good start. Where have you heard that London is too expensive and gloomy? It may well be, but it still seems to attract thousands of visitors every year, including Australians.

Maybe you should focus more on the positives (eg, nightlife, sight-seeing, Walkabout pubs, etc).

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the job front either. Things are bad and about to get worse.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,228 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

<<< Walkabout pubs >>>

Since when have they been a positive?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

1. Steer clear of Walkabout pubs; there's a plethora of wonderful English pubs with more atmosphere in the leg of one chair than the whole chain of Walkabout pubs has (IMHO).

2. There's absolutely nothing gloomy about London, indeed the whole of the UK. I love the place equally as much as I love Australia and that's saying something. If I was independently (and seriously) wealthy, I'd live 6 months here and 6 months there and I'd die a happy woman (I'd need to be wealthy because I could spend 6 months of the year just playing tourist in the UK, there's so much to see and do).

3. When you talk about a 'half decent job', what qualifications do you have? If you have qualifications here to have a decent job, you should be ok, but do remember that the GFC has hit the poor UK much harder than here, so jobs may not be lying thick and fast on the ground over there, especially if your qualifications are 'limited'.

4. I've found the British people to be very warm and friendly - never had a problem with any of them, in fact :-)

My suggestion - go for a holiday for a month or so and see what you think. Do remember that in winter it gets dark very early in the afternoon and the sun doesn't come up properly until much later than here, but that's part of the charm :-) If you go in summer, well then the days will be much, much longer than here in summer - again, part of the charm.

Edited: 19 August 2010, 10:18
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to the UK should it be London?

Very charitable of you peterscot, that's exactly what I meant ;-)