We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoteliers take revenge on TA

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Hoteliers take revenge on TA

independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/hot…

Not sure if this will be allowed but there has been several posts about dodgy reviews recently.

Article in Independent newspaper today says that hoteliers are taking 'class action' against Tripadvisor for untrue reviews.

I have to agree that TA don't seem to take much responsibility for what's published on their site......

Yes, you can't swear. But if you want to rubbish a competitor, it couldn't be easier.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoteliers take revenge on TA

A very interesting article and I think there might be another side to the coin - it seems that some hoteliers and other businesses are very TA aware and use it as an advertising tool. But there again, maybe I'm just being too cynical.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoteliers take revenge on TA

<<hoteliers are taking 'class action' against Tripadvisor for untrue reviews>>

"untrue" ?? I suspect there is probably at least a 10:1 ratio of untrue reviews (positive, written by owner) to untrue reviews (negative, written by competitor). After all, a hotelier has far more to gain directly from a positive review, than a competitor has from a negative one.

I'd certainly welcome TA cleaning up the ludicrously gushing OTT reviews by one-time reviewers that some establishments (especially smaller B&B types) are festooned with.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoteliers take revenge on TA

They have to stop these one post wonders... maybe set a probationary period of the first 10 posts where a moderator reviews the post or review in question before it's allowed. It's difficult though, my first ever post on TA was a glowing report of a hotel that I'd stayed at, it could well have looked like an advert.

TA doesn't really give a toss about fake reviews though, that much is clear from monitoring the "Help us make Trip Advisor better" forum over the last year or two. Fake reviewers have been complained about week in, week out for years now, and not one TA staff member has ever shown genuine concern. So they probably deserve some form of kick in the pants at some point.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoteliers take revenge on TA

I agree, it is difficult, my first post was a glowing report of a hotel and I believe they deserved it if you take into consideration the price I paid compared with similar hotels in the general area.

What annoys me is when someone unfavourably compares a hotel with one which costs about twice as much - but I hope no-one is taken in by that.

Crathie
Level Contributor
803 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoteliers take revenge on TA

It is the easiest thing in the world to fake reviews, despite what TA may say about sophisticated software. I did it for my B&B when I had one because I got a really undeserved and nasty review and asked TA to remove it. They said it fulfilled their guidelines and would not take it down, even though it was a one post wonder and clearly posted to cause maximum trouble. So I faked a couple of reviews which were middle of the road, not too sour not too sweet and waited to see what happened. Time went on and genuine reviews were later posted which were fair and as a result, I have no doubt were read by people who used TA and chose to stay with me on the strength of them.

I think CanucksTraveller72 raises some very interesting points and I would also like to see the one post wonders removed.

A B&B near me actively encourages guests to post reviews (which apparently they have every right to do) and I'd say by now there are about 80. Yet most are from single posters and I wonder what that looks like to others using TA to consider staying there.

6. Re: Hoteliers take revenge on TA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2011, 06:16