We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Hi Guys, any hints & tips greatly appreciated. We are planning a 24 day self drive trip around UK & Ireland after a few days in London. Our original plan was to head towards Plymouth, Cornwall through Wales across to Ireland at Fishguard etc. However we have just discovered that the days we will be around Cornwall area will be the August bank holiday and we have been told that it is a busy time.

We are now thinking of a few extra days in London and heading up the east coast towards Scotland and then across to Ireland. Is it wise to book a car ferry to Ireland or can one just rock up and usually get a spot?...Any suggestions on good accomodation (anywahere) that is reasonably priced appreciated, pubs, B&B's etc

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

The first thing you need to find is a car rental company that will even allow you to take the vehicle from 'The mainland' over to Ireland.

Previous topics here suggest its very unlikely and/or extremely expensive. Cornwall will undoubtably be busy throughout most if not all of August.

BB

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Hi Pomeroys,

You are going to spend a lot on fuel! Our petrol/diesel prices are through the roof at the moment approx £1.30 per LITRE! so you need to take this into account when planning your trip, not to mention the cost of car hire.

I am intrigued by your sign in name 'Pomeroys' Could this be a surname or just a pun at us Poms? I ask because in Devon there is a village with a castle(ruin) called Berry Pomeroy, we have a friend who has this surname and he tells us the village has obvious connections with the name, therefore I would be interested to know.

Regards

Janice

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

We regularly take our own car across to Ireland by ferry.

Poin 1) it is expensive

point2) you would need to book in advance especially on August

point 3) they always ask for the registration on the booking form,

dont know how this would be done with a hire car

point 4) as previously said, some companies will allow you to take the hire car overseas, many will not, but you will pay a hefty premium.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Hi Janice,

No it is not a pun, that is the surname. My husband's family originated from the Cornwall area many years ago. We are intending to swing past and visit Berry Pomeroy when in the area.

R&J

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Thanks everyone, we are aware of the ferry costs, had been told by a few people that they had taken their hire car over no problem. We will obviously need to look into it further with the hire companies. Makes it a little restrictive when having to book a ferry and be somewhere at a certain date...may look into driving UK then flying to Dublin and picking up a car there.

Also aware that fuel will be dearer than Australia...

More homework!

Thanks all

Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Hi

Berry Pomeroy is only a very small place, the castle is a ruin, it has a tea room and a shop, that's about it! You need to look in the Totnes area if you intend staying nearby. I understand that from time to time the 'Pomeroys' have been known to meet up in the area - who knows you may have relatives here !!

August will be very busy in Devon & Cornwall, when you 'fine tune' your trip it would be worth trying to book ahead. Once you have thought out your route, I'm sure lots of us could help with ideas for places to stay.

Regards

Janice

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

the logic of not going by ferry because you have to pre book and be at a certain point at a certain time is a bit flawed, you have to pre book flights and be at a certain airport at a certain time too. I wouldnt let that be the deciding factor. You can fly anwhere, the ferries are a different experience.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

Hi Janice,

Thanks for the info on the castle. Yes, once we fine tune the trip we will be looking for advice for where to stay. I have been given quite alot of places for Ireland, not much for Southern England and yet to look into Scotland. We will be travelling late August til mid/late September. and depending which way we now decide to head first.

9. Re: Advice for 3 week Self Drive UK & Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 10:19