We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

I left a shopping bag in an overhead bin on the first train of a three-train journey on April 21, 2011. I've contacted all the train lines/stations to no avail. Is England known for compassion when it comes to finding tourist's items? They can keep the camera, I just want the pictures. How can I go about letting this be known?

Gustamps
Gift & Speciality Shops
Albert Dock
Piers & Boardwalks, Scenic Walking Areas, Gift & Speciality Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

I have just googled 'Lost Property Trains' with a UK preference and all the train company links come up so if you have not already done so you need to register your loss with the train company you travelled with. With luck someone will have handed it in. You have my sympathies,I hope you get your property back.

Edited: 26 April 2011, 16:58
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

Registered with Northern Rail and a few other independent sites (Lost Property Heaven, Ifoundyourcamera.net, camerafound.com, even a Facebook page devoted to lost pics/cameras). Funny thing is, I know EXACTLY when I lost it and what train it was on, but because we had only seconds between each train, I couldn't report it until hours later, hundreds of miles away.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

I once lost/left a camera on an Arriva Wales train. I called the Lost Property number for the train company, was told to call the station manager at the destination station (Llanelli), who told me to call the station manager at the return destination station (Shrewsbury), who told me to recall Lost Property in a couple of days. I called Lost Property a couple of times, but was left with the strong sense that I was wasting my time - the camera was not going to be turned in. He had no interest in taking my contact information. All I got out of the conversations with Lost Property was an annoyed lesson in how to pronounce Llanelli.

I hope you have better luck.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
7 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

I'm also hoping (foolishly, probably), that whoever took it would be mildly interested in a reward for the memory card or even posting the pictures somewhere I could retrieve them. Time will tell.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,285 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

You need to contact the operator of the train on which you lost it. Hopefully it will have been found by the cleaning crew or guard.

6. Re: Lost a camera on a train--any hope?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 06:19