We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

Sadly, my wife and I had to cancel our biennial visit to Britain this year due to personal reasons and now are considering the best time in 2012 to visit. Normally we come in spring, April/May, or late summer, August/September.

We will spend almost no time in London this trip, concentrating on the Southeast, and travel across southern England and up to Wales (we normally stay for 4 weeks) but I'm concerned about the Summer Olympics and how that will affect travel, pre/post Olympics.

I would think that post Olympics would be a better bet but I might be unaware or overlook something that would affect travel (other than the damn miserable exchange rate that’s giving me a heart attack every time I check it!!!)

So, once again I turn to the TA experts for your opinions and advice

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$142.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$146.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
623 reviews
from US$99.20*
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

As you are not planning any time in London this trip, the Olympics shouldn't affect your getting about in the South East and Wales at all to be honest Haggis.

All I would say though ( and Im sure you are aware of this having been here many times in the past ) is that August is the peak season for UK residents to take their holidays. May or September may be better from that point of view.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

I think the Olympics will certainly affect flight prices into the country even for someone not visiting London. Therefore this time should be avoided due to increased costs if you have no interest in the Olympics.

Also, Olympic sailing in Weymouth could potentially affect the roads/trains/buses down there. Who knows?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

Olympics doesn't start until end of July [27th ?] so June would be a good option [No school holidays either.] or your usual April / May. MIddle of August, arriving in between close of Olympics and start of Paralympics should also work.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

Late August/Sept would be my choice, children back to school (give or take a few days difference in various areas) and I like to go away myself then, the weather suits me.

I think the Olympics may have an impact on costs generally even if avoiding London..

Flight prices around August would also play a factor due to the Olympics, something to look at as well.

If we could have an April the same as this year, now that would be nice!

Brighton, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

It you are visiting the South East of England, then May would be the best time to come. There is the Brighton Festival in May - do check out the artists Open Houses every weekend in May - really inspiring, and every house that open its door has something different to offer. Charleston - country home of the Bloomsbury Set also has a festival in early summer, as I am sure many other towns in the South East will too.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

I agree re May - over the last few years it's been one of our best months down here in weather terms, the days are long and there's lots of festivals in the villages and towns. Late September is also good - the renowned Chiddingly Festival is then for instance plus there's some cider-related stuff going on, should you be interested.

Re "the damned miserable exchange rate" though - I'll have to differ, you chaps have rarely had it so good, exchange rate wise.

Mike

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

^^ I must admit Im always puzzled by our American posting friends bemoaning the exchange rate.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,426 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

The current exchange rate of around 1.53 is the best it's been for American visitors in a few years since it hit the 1.30's.

I can't accept the claims that it's a lousy rate at the moment either. It's not great for us Brits visiting the US to be honest.

Remember when it was 2.0000? Happy days :-)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

>>I must admit Im always puzzled by our American posting friends bemoaning the exchange rate<<

I lived in England in the late 70's and early 80's when the exchange rate reached a high of $2.50 to one Pound so I have to confess my self pitying whinging is probably a little out of context ;-)

Actually, I expected rates to jump over $1.70 due to the frenzy by which my government has been printing fiat money so that was my concern last year.

Well, I'm leaning towards May and hope the inevitable early backpacking Olympics "fans" will be at a minimum.

It always amazes me the strange crowds certain events bring into the host country. Especially since most of the visitors have no intention or the worth to attend said event. Oh well, I guess they want to "share" the experience.

Whereas I want to get in and out looong before the event!!

Brighton? Brighton? Isn't that a cliche?? (joke, joke, no flames, please ;-))

Once again thanks for all the advice. If any of ya'll plan to visit the Great State of Texas (GST for short) or the great Southwest of the colonies, please let me know!!!

Edited: 20 January 2012, 14:35
Brighton, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Time to Visit the Britain in 2012

Brighton a cliche? Not sure what you mean???