We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending pounds to the UK

Toronto, Canada
10 posts
Save Topic
Sending pounds to the UK

I need to send pounds to two people in the UK to secure rentals and they want the money direct to their banks. It's really expensive to do this from my bank so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or options.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending pounds to the UK

Gayle, anytime I have had to send money to the UK, I would go to a local foreign exchange company, Accu-Rate. They have a bank account at a UK bank and they simply wrote a cheque on my behalf to the payee, which I then mailed off. I would imagine that could do an electronic transfer from this account, but I have never tried. The cost of the cheque was cheap, like $1 for amounts under $50, free above that.

I would have thought a similar service would be available in the "Centre of the Known Universe". :)

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending pounds to the UK

Pounds as in cash ?? I would suggest you pay by credit card, which at least should protect you from possible fraud

Toronto, Canada
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending pounds to the UK

You are absolutely right, I did find a currency exchanger minutes away.

See, we can learn from others. Some of share, too, like our generous friends from Ottawa!

Thanks ronw.

4. Re: Sending pounds to the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 05:16