We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

Singaopore
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

Hi :

Still in the early stages of planning a european tour early next year, I would like to just clarify something about the trains available.

I will be travelling into London, am I right to think that - Eurorail train or the packages I get from them will not allow me to get onto the Continent. However, the EuroStar will get me into Paris, and from there I would then be able to use my EuroRail package card to get around the continent.

Just for clarity this is my proposed itinery roughly:

1) London to Paris

2) Paris to Bern

3) Berne to Vienna

4) Vienna to Budapest

5) Budapest to Prague

6) Prague to Berlin

7) Berlin to Amsterdam

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

Never heard of Eurorail, they are presumably some sort of ticket agent. Search the train travel forum for much discussion on the benefits, costs and benefits of a train pass v. booking individual tickets in advance. Also google the man in seat 61 for much advice and information.

The trains in Europe are mostly still run by state operators in each country - there is no such thing as Eurail or Eurorail.

You are correct that Eurostar run trains from London to Paris, book 120 days in advance for the cheapest fares.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,085 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

It's actually Eurail - for information on passes see seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm - the giste is that generally passes AREN'T as good a bargain as they used to be as the prices are higher than they were a decade ago and many of the fast services require additional payments

Normally Eurail pass holders can get a special rate on Eurostar tickets - but a non-refundable, non-changeable ticket is normally cheaper

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

"there is no such thing as Eurail or Eurorail."

There is. But it's just a brand name for a ticket pass marketed (often spectacularly deceitfully) by an American travel agency.

In your case, possibly a pass worth buying. But totally different from Eurostar, which is the operationg name for the company that actually runs trains between London and the near continent

Singaopore
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

thanks guys for your replies. I ahve since posted the same at the train travel forum.

cheers

5. Re: Clarifications on Eurostar and Eurorail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 05:20