We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for July trip

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for July trip

Hi I just wondered what sort of clothing would be best for a trip in July encompassing London, Wales, Windsor and Ireland? It is summer but what is the weather likely to be? I expect if won't be as hot as we are used to in summer but is it likely to be too hot for long pants and jeans during the day or too cool for skirts and shorts? Thanks for your help.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for July trip

I would take all of the above items as it could be anything from 5-30C.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for July trip

London weather isn't that different from Melbourne's. Maybe a bit drier. Windsor, the same.

The further west and north you go in the British Isles, the wetter and colder it gets.

So Wales will have more rain than the east coast, and Ireland, more again.

You are going to have to bring a variety of clothes and watch the weather forecast the day before. That's what everyone does in the UK if they are worried about being too hot or cold, or getting wet...

Or you wear clothes that cater for 3 seasons....

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for July trip

There was snow at the top of Snowdon(Wales) yesterday. But it was normal weather at the bottom. That is unusual but not unheard of.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for July trip

Brilliant. I was just going to post about the June snow in Wales as well.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-137…

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for July trip

I'm a guy and have travelled in Britain for over 20 years from California. I also have gone in every month, often in Winter. On each trip I have taken this type of clothes. Cotton pants, polo shirts, a sweater for cooler days and my jacked with a built in hood . Oh, good pair oif walking shoes.I place my total stuff in my gym bag and when fully packed it is 13 pounds.

Edited: 11 June 2011, 22:04
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing for July trip

Its cold and wet here today. I would come prepared for anything. Layers are the answer.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing for July trip

cargo trousers (lots of pockets), a selection of short sleeved t shirts, some long sleeved shirts and a couple of sweaters. good walking shoes and a waterproof coat. I take one dress, a sleeveless button through, it can go over t shirts or under sweaters or on its own if it really gets hot (unlikely)

8. Re: Clothing for July trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 00:19