We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your experience with East Coast trains

London
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
What is your experience with East Coast trains

Hi, I am a very frequent rail user. Because of work and other obligations I have used most uk rail companies. None has troubled me as much as East Coast. I simply do not know what to make of it.

If I was rating their services on board, state of trains, and time keeping, they would be up there on the very top. All as excellent as can be expected in a national service.

However, if I was to rate their ground services it is the worst I have experienced of any type of service. That is not only rail companies inclusive. I mean any type of service, from mobile phones to electricity providers.

On one occasion they had called me an idiot (the actual word) and very recently a "temporary staff" told me: "I am done talking to you. You bore me" as he was walking away from my question of how much time it would take me to to get to my platform! Please note last happened in 1st class lounge!!!

I do not think I provoked any of the above. In all honesty I cannot see though how someone can. One might think I (or any other customer is an idiot) or that they find them "boring" and they might even be right to think that. You do not actually phrase it though do you? For sure there is some minimum customer care training that tells staff how to deal with difficult customers and that I suspect does not include name calling.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,059 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

They get me from A to B in relative comfort & without hassle.

It's what I want & it's what I get

BTW thankyou for the paragraphs, they are rare in a rant and to see them means you gave some thought to it

Edited: 26 June 2011, 21:03
Essex
Level Contributor
27,458 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

Yes, but you know, the platform is only just 'over there'!

3. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 October 2011, 15:35
4. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 October 2011, 15:35
Edited: 08 October 2011, 15:35
Essex
Level Contributor
27,458 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

OK, bye then.

York, United Kingdom
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

I'm just surprised that the journeys have been on time !

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,059 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

"Thank you for calling my post a rant. "

Most rants just consist of an uncontrolled stream of words with little punctuation and much that is irrelevant. I merely congratulated you on avoiding this faux pas.

It is however a rant as you are clearly angry and you forgot to include anything to justify the claims except to mention one incident (BTW how can you tell a temporary worker?)

I was on the last train to York from Edinburgh one evening. Due to an accident on the line I reached York after the final train to Leeds and beyond had left. They organised a taxi for me which they paid for in full - not bad for a ticket that had originally cost me under £15

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

I find the seats in cattle class very uncomfortable for a 4.5 hour journey.

That is all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

I use East Coast Trains to travel to Bradford and I travel first class. I joined the train at London Kings Cross at 14:34 I was told that I could have ONE cup of tea when I leave London and then a SECOND cup after Grantham. When I asked the train server why he said "that is the rules" My second cup was half a cup!! Oh and you can have ONE bottle of water and another if there is any left on the trolly when it returns to the first class carriage. VIRGIN WHERE ARE YOU - Take over this train line and give excellent service please. The food is horrible - buy your food at the station before you board the train and don't expect any service and only two cups of tea and one bottle of water. Well done East Coast - NOT.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is your experience with East Coast trains

I travelled on the same route with East Coast and as if by magic it is as if they have read this forum. I was treated very well indeed with nice fresh sandwiches on the all day menu and as much tea as I wanted!! (see my previous comment). The staff were all very helpful, smiled and made jokes. A refreshing improvement!