We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Chichester to Torquay

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Chichester to Torquay

Hi,

I will be traveling from Chichester to Torquay on Friday Sep 23, 2011. I have searched the British Rail site and can't get the information. Could you please tell me what trains I should take? I'd like to leave

Chichester about 11 am.

Thank you!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

Getting from Chichester to Torquay takes about 4½ hours by train, involving 3 changes of trains, at Cosham, Salisbury and Exeter St David's. Leaving at 11:05, arrival at Torquay is 15:41. Trains every hour. Current fare for that date is shown as £53.50. It seems unlikely that there will be a cheap advance fare available, since the journey involves 3 different train companies.

All this is available on the journey planner at www.nationalrail.co.uk

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

Thank you for the information. I'll check out the website.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,293 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

traintimes.org.uk/chichester/…2011-09-23

which gets its data from National Rail, is showing 09:47 at £16.50 and 10:41 and 11:41 departures at £25.50, all Advance.

This doesn't match with what East Coast are showing though. Maybe (as it's the middle of the night) the various train co computers aren't synchronising at the moment (this does happen) but it may be worth checking. East Coast is showing a couple of Advance fares later that day so they do exist.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

Thank you!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

The cheaper fares that Bobelinks has identified only require 2 changes instead of 3, but take 6 hours instead of 4½, and involve travelling via London (Clapham Junction). Interesting time vs. cost trade-off.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

You've given me lots to think about! Thank you.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

I should have added, if you want to see these slower but cheaper options on the national rail website, you need to select the "include slower trains" box (which I didn't do when I first replied). Good luck with your thinking.

8. Re: Train from Chichester to Torquay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 00:17