We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a good provider for phone and data for an I Phone. I plan to use it in the UK, Switzerland, Italy, Belgium and Finland.

I think it shoud double up to go to websites and book things and check emails and perhaps do email banking etc.

Expect medium to high usage on phone and data.

Zed

London
Level Contributor
9,554 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

Phone networks end at national boundaries. If you buy a SIM in the UK, as soon as you use it in another country you are paying international roaming charges. For data roaming, these charges are usually painful.

If you really need heavy (and not occasiona) usage you may have to research the best deal in each individual country.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

oh.... no good. how do people who travel throughout Europe do this then...

Zed

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

... by either using a separate SIM for each country or paying the roaming fees.

London
Level Contributor
9,554 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

or in my case - by turning off data roaming as soon as I leave the country and only using the data features on my phone when I get to somewhere with free wifi

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

Have you looked at something like the truphone app for iphone, which might help you with calls, although Skype is an obvious choice for that too.

As has been stated - free wifi is the way to go if you can.

Get one of the apps that help show you where free wifi is situated.

There are many tales of woe where people have not switched off data/roaming and up with charges in thousands of (insert your own currency here)

Does your provider have an international roaming package that might be cost effective?

6. Re: Internet Provider for Data and Phone for an I Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 03:16