We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospital in London

Perth WA
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hospital in London

My daughter arrives back in London Next Friday on her way home to Australia. She needs to attend a hospital in London as had a fall in Zurich and has damaged her ankle. Can anybody tell me the best hospital to attend in London and what the procedure is to attend. We have heard that there is a reciprocal agreement between England & Australia. She also has private travel insurance.

Thank you

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospital in London

she also has private travel insurance.

=======

Then that would be her first step, contact them, they should arrange everything else.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,308 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospital in London

Has she not been to hospital in Zurich? They have very good facilities there

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hospital in London

A good point, I hadn't spotted that, why is she waiting for nearly a week if she has travel insurance?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospital in London

You may find this website useful:

medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/…index.jsp

As for which hospital to attend, I cannot help you there. As suggested, contact the insurer.

Perth WA
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hospital in London

Thank you, she has been backpacking and decided to try and tough it out but needs to make sure no serious damage before the long flight home.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hospital in London

but needs to make sure no serious damage before the long flight home

=========

A logic failure there, she is concerned about it whilst she is mostly sat down for 24 hours but will be walking around on it wincing for a week beforehand?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hospital in London

^^ That puzzled me as well

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,910 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hospital in London

If the medics decide to put a cast or similar on her ankle, it could mean she is not allowed to fly!

If she's been backpacking then the flight home should not be more arduous, but that's just my, non-medical, opinion.

The only sensible option is to phone her insurers.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hospital in London

Not sure why a cast on your ankle would stop you flying. my son broke his toe last year on holiday and did a transatlantic flight on crutches with no problems. If a cast would pose some kind of DVT risk, she should mention her flight plans to the doctors who could adjust her treatment accordingly.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hospital in London

Not sure why a cast on your ankle would stop you flying

=========

There is a rule about flying with a"closed" cast that has been on for less than a certain period, maybe 24 hours, In which case the cast has to have a slit in it to allow expansion and you may also need a doctors note stating you are OK to fly.

The reason I "know" this was a very pubic spat a few years back where (IMO) a somewhat emotional and hysterical person got hold of a stanley knife (for US types, that would be a box cutter) and started slicing her cast open at the checkin desk after the airline wouldn't let her fly.

She then accused the airline of endangering her life by "making" her do this !!

((This is my perhaps faulty recollection of something that happened a couple of years ago or more but the jist is, new cast=no fly)

Edited: 21 November 2011, 18:51