We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in London then off to Manchester

Rochester, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
One day in London then off to Manchester

I arrive in London at 7 in the morning and plan on spending the day seeing sights. Can anyone suggest the best way to do this- is there a tour company you would suggest? Then I'm heading off to Manchester to meet a friend to stay for a week. I believe I need to leave London from the Euston station but not sure what train to take, or what it might cost. thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

London for the day. What are your interests? We can than point you in the right direction. Alternatively, you could take one of the Hop On Hop Off bus tours to see the major attractions from the outside, maybe hopping off to see one or two places from the inside. The tours also include a river trip and walking tours in the price.

www.theoriginaltour.com/

www.bigbustours.com/London

Manchester - yes you go from Euston. The train company is http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ The cheapest tickets are 'advanced' which as the name suggest you need to purchase in advance. They go on sale about 12 weeks before the travel date, when they are at their cheapest, so purchase as soon as you can. 'Advance' tickets commit you to a specific train, which if you miss you need to buy a more expensive walk up ticket. If you can travel outside of peak hours (4.00pm to 7.00pm) you are likely to find cheaper tickets.

London
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

If you need flexibility, and can avoid weekday peak hours, the "off-peak" return is £70. That allows travel on any train outside peak hours - return valid one month.

With Virgin it is also possible to buy the outward as "advanced" (nominated train only - potentially very cheap if you book ahead) and the return as an off peak return (flexible - any off peak train in next month). This is a very flexible arrangement but can only be purchased through Virgin Trains web site.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

If you can travel to Manchester before 15.00 or after 18.44, you will be able to get an off-peak ticket. This is a walk-up fare, costs £70.00 returnand the return can be made up to one month later, except on early morning trains from Manchester. These times and the fare may change from January 2012.

However, be aware that the first trains after the peak time are ridiculously busy, particularly on Fridays.

Otherwise, if you are happy being committed to fixed times, buy advance tickets.

Rochester, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

Thanks so much. I am in the United State- so not really sure how the advance ticket works. I know they won't send it to me so after purchasing on line do I just have it "held" somehow at the Euston station. How does that all work? Thanks

Rochester, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

Thanks for your help. I am only needing to travel one way - How would you suggest I go from Heathrow to Central london to get a HOHO bus (think this is my best option for seeing some of the main sights in London in one day) or should I go from Heathrow to Euston to leave my carry on in a left luggage locker and then to Central london for the day - ??? Help and yes you are right I am going to be there on a Friday. Thanks

London
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

We need to emphasise the (very significant) trade off between price and flexibility on this route. How far away is this trip?

An "advance" (that's the name of the type of ticket) single can cost as little as £11.50. But such cheap tickets are limited and sell out quickly. It may seem like madness, but you sometimes find "advance" first class tickets for less than standard class.

An "off peak" single (not valid in the peak afternoon period) is £69. Can be bought on the day

A walk up "anytime" single is £140 - can be bought on the day.

Friday is busy on this route, so your chances of finding the very cheapest fares are low. Finding a seat (if you don't have a reservation) on the "off peak" services can also be a challenge, even though trains depart every 20 minutes.

Rochester, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

I'm not going for a few weeks and looks like the advance tickets are still an option. If I purchase today are they held at the station like an e-ticket?? Can I pick them up from any machine. ??

Also what would it cost to go from Heathrow to Euston to drop my bag off and then from Euston to Central London to tour around?? Is the train ride too costly to do all this or will it take a long time to make this combination of stops?

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

Hi,

You can collect your ticket from one of the self-service machines on Euston Station, or any other station that has self service machines. You will require the credit/debit card that you used to make the purchase and the reference details that you was given at the time of purchase.

http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/

This site is useful for finding cheap advance fares. If you have trouble buying a ticket on that site - they don't always accept overseas cards - try this site..

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/

I think that you'll have more luck getting help for the London part of your trip by asking on The London forum.

Good luck!

Edited: 02 December 2011, 15:22
London
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

In terms of your connection from Heathrow.

Heathrow is on the western edge of London. Euston is in central London, on the north part of the centre. Even if you weren't trying to see any of London, you'd still need to do that bit.

Allow (at least) an hour to get through customs/immigration then an hour for the tube journey.

You could take the Heathrow Express train but I wouldn't. It is very expensive, and takes you to Paddington not Euston. Overall, it is a little faster for your yourney - but not much - and costs a lot more.

London
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in London then off to Manchester

By the way - is your heart set on doing this London sightseeing straight after a long flight? The reason for posing that question is that you can get a connecting flight to Manchester from Heathrow.

For central London to Manchester, the train is the only sensible choice.

But if I was already at Heathrow, and needed to be in Manchester, I would just fly.

BA flights are less than £60 if you book far enough ahead.