We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

"Tripadvisor, the travel review website, has been banned from claiming that all of its hotel and restaurant reviews are real."

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9052317/Tr…

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

if you have had a bad review how about the hotel/resteraunt looking at them selves rather than just assuming it's a bogus post

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

"if you have had a bad review how about the hotel/resteraunt looking at them selves rather than just assuming it's a bogus post"

What does that mean?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,477 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

I think, ianmac, like the rest of us, is fed up with Hotels crying wolf and claiming that their business is being ruined by fake and malicious reviews, rather than looking to themselves to see what they are doing wrong!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

Thanks for that.

The issue though seems to be that TA cannot say that reviews can be trusted or are honest as they do nothing to vet them.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,477 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

Yes, but only in the UK where we clearly and 'properly' have far more stringent advertising rules than they do elsewhere in the world, including the country where TA is based.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

This is pretty mild. I can remember a restaurant here in Australia once successfully sued the Sydney Morning Herald (a major newspaper here) over a poor restaurant review.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

Tripadvisor's wording has long since been a joke anyway to anyone who has read the papers or watched television. The ruling might be doing them a favour, as it was so clearly untrue that more measured claims would make it look more respectable and reliable. Overblown claims can be counter-productive as it makes those who use them look tacky, especially to a UK audience who in general tend to trust 'quite nice' more than 'the best experience you've had in your entire life.'

Edited: 02 February 2012, 01:56
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

If there is a reviewer check them out, as I now know if I am ever in Ipswich, ie: Wansteader has given me a couple of eateries to try.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

How do individuals "check out" reviewers though?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripadvisor banned from claiming its reviews are real

If they don't have an identity on TA. they are phony!

Love Glasgow, as they are so up front and genuine people, also a great city to visit.