We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling UK

Sydney Aust
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling UK

My husband and I are travelling to the UK in May and June. We are in London for a week and have booked accommodation but after that we have not booked anything. We are hiring a car after London and have a planned route with some flexibility. Thoughts on booking accommodation B&B or pubs as we go? What do people think?

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling UK

We have done a lot of touring type holidays - typically going to the US and visiting 6 places in 3 weeks

We nearly always have all accom booked in advance. Downside of course is that you dont have the flexibility to stay longer or move on past somewhere that turns out to be less interesting than you thought

main single upside is not wasting valuable vacation hours looking or suitable places to stay!

is this your first trip to the uk?

where are you thinking of going?

there are a huge number of possibilities packed into what is a small space by AU standards

hint; the best of the scenrtu is in the north and west of scotland!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling UK

Firsttime09 - we have public holidays on Monday May 7 and for the Diamond Jubilee Monday 4 & Tuesday 5 June. Many schools will also have a half term of either 1 or 2 weeks around the Jubilee. Inevitably these dates are likely to be busier and more booked up than other times. You may also find there are local events going on that can have a big impact on accommodation.

I appreciate the desire for flexibility, so I suggest research now - picking out accommodation & seeing now if available at likely dates (that might highlight specific local issues). If you have contact details you can call ahead (day or two before) & save time & mileage, if you do decide not to book before departure.

As you've said B & Bs and pubs - many have individual websites, there are also often listings on sites such as FarmStay UK, Smoothhound as well as ones for specific groups such as Innkeepers Lodge and Old English Inns.

My choice would to be book, at least over the school/public holidays & at any other places where choice or availability seemed limited. Either way hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Sydney Aust
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling UK

Hi going for six weeks thx for the advise will have a look at possible accom in places we plan to visit and get an idea of availability. thx for the website suggestions cannot wait

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling UK

suppose it depends on your budget and requirements.

A couple of decades ago we used to just pitch up at a place and find somewhere to stay. In the internet age I tend to buy budget hotels weeks in advance or wait until the last minute for the pricier options...or pay rack rate!

Will you have a smartphone/internet access with you? Do you care about saving £20+ a night?

Sydney Aust
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling UK

Will have an iPad with Internet access.nit too worried about saving 20pound

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling UK

On reflection, I would try to book 1-8 June if you plan to be in popular tourist locations.

For last minute deals I tend to rely on laterooms.co.uk and wotif.com or sometimes the hotel websites themselves.

Sydney Aust
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling UK

Thx for the tip plan to be in the lakes district around then so will make a booking as suggested

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,875 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling UK

You really do need to book for the first week of June. Much accomodation will already be booked out now.

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling UK

6 weeks - thats great!!!

you will be aware about the long days in may june - in the far north of scotland it is still light at 11 oclock at the end of june

but do have protec tion against the midges!

3 years in a row we spent midsummer week at the boathouse - cottage attached to the torridon hotel - it is wonderful!

wester ross is as scenic as any area on teh mainland - route is a82 from glasgow via loch lomond crianlarich and glencoe to fort william (terrific drive!)

a little north of fort william head west t okyle of lochalash then via plocton loch carron and the mountain pass to applecross then via the coast route into shieldaig and onto torridon - where take the 'dead; end' road to dibeig and return - this drive is even better than the prvious one!

after torridon head for kinlochewe and then either ullapool or inverness

this year we have decided to get to some of the islands we havent reached yet and to do the extreme north of scotland

we have made all the bookings (for late June) in the past couple of weeks - better several places were already fully booked.....

we drive from glasgow to oban and cross to barra for 2 night then

2 night on north uist

1 on harris

2 on lewis

and then via ullappool durness wick and dornoch and back to glasgow

use the CALMAC website to get ferry details

for years i have used a little book called scotlands the best 1996 edition!

but in the past couple of weeks ihave managed to get hold of the 2012 edition - at only 5.99 its a great bargain - i got my copy from the book people - not sure how long it would take to get it to sydney but perhaps you could have it mailed to your first stop in the uk?

its a great book - you will love it loads of info from posh hotels to great cafes

stately homes and castles to pubs with good music

let me know if you need help in getting hold of a copy

10. Re: Travelling UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:40