We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

We're flying into London Heathrow and spending 5 nights in London,, then renting a van and driving to Aberdeen to visit relatives for a few days then driving back to London to fly back to the US. My husband and I, our 3 daughters(18,22,24) and my 2 year old grandaughter will be on this trip. We have never been to the UK.

I need advise for the drive from London to Aberdeen. We can only stop one time overnight each way. Where is a good place to stop, and what would you reccommend to see on our short stops.

My husband wants to try to drive all the way back in one day, but I'm trying to talk him out of that. Our granddaughter is a great traveller, but she is 2. Any advise for London would be great too.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,522 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

Most locals would rather stick pins in their eyes than do this drive. It isn't a road trip but a tortuous excursion that will likely have you shouting at each other. I can understand your reasons for trying this as the alternative of flying would be expensive, but a train might not.

The bad points about driving are petrol costing GBP1.40 per litre (equivalent to around USD10 per gallon), congested roads, roadworks (part of the A1 road between Newcastle and Edinburgh is a single carriageway) and it could end up taking 12 hours or more to drive the 500 miles.

www.theaa.com will give you routes and rough times

www.nationalrail.com for the train alternative

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

Not a great use of your limited time here.

Take a flight to Aberdeen.

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

Arrrrrgh! Tell your husband you need to stop somewhere overnight each way if driving is really the only possibility. It is way different to driving the same distance in the US and will take a lot longer to drive than you may think.

Durham/Newcastle area is probably about half way in miles but the road north of there is slower so possibly somewhere round about one of East Lothian towns(south east of Edinburgh) of Dunbar or North Berwick would be a good place to stop.

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
East Lothian
East Lothian
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dunbar
Dunbar
East Lothian, UK
North Berwick
North Berwick
East Lothian, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
30,353 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

If you stop for an 'overnighter' it will be just that, not much time to see anywhere else or do anything than have dinnner (nice dinner hopefully) and collapse into bed!

Bon Voyage

PS - what is the Van for?? There will not be seats for all of you on-board a van, and you all must have seats that you can strap (seatbelt) yourself into, including a leagle 'baby' seat for the little one, to be safe!

PPS - am I being 'thick' by Van, do you mean what we would call a 'People Carrier'??

Edited: 28 April 2012, 22:39
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

then renting a van and driving to Aberdeen

===

Why? (not why Aberdeen, why renting a van? Does your husband you have a fetish that involves being stuck in a small tin container with all your family luggage for 24 hours ?

Do you or he have the (totally wrong) impression that you'll see the beautiful countryside of the UK rather than major roads crammed with traffic, the backsides of lorries, spray and motorway service stations?

Or is your husband a complete idiot?

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,156 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

The answer is "Caledonian Sleeper".

< My husband wants to try to drive all the way back in one day >

Tell your husband you'll divorce him if he uses words like "I'm used to long drives".

As I pointed out earlier, I drove 100 miles on motorway yesterday. It took me 2h30m. After the first 30 minutes I'd travelled 2 (yes two) miles. The next 60 miles took an hour in 3 lanes of solid traffic.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,522 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

So, I think you may gather that attempting this 'road trip' is not a great idea.

Check the trains, planes and Caledonian Sleeper for the better option

Having driven extensively in the US, I can assure you we don't do road trips in the UK because driving here is completely different to driving in the US.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,213 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

Please don't do it. dicanio has it in one, you'll be shouting at each other for part of the journey but with uncontrollable sobbing the rest of it, especially when the younger passengers realise there is nothing ahead but miles of asphalt.

Words to live by: let the train take the strain. BA have a number of flights to ABZ, but you'll need to book early as it's a busy route.

www.eastcoast.co.uk for the trains from London King's Cross; www.scotrail.co.uk for the Caledonian Sleeper.

Please don't even think for more than a microsecond that you will want or need a car in London. Depending on your circumstances you may wish to book a car service (vehicle plus driver) for the journey from or to Heathrow airport, but that's it.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
King's Cross
King's Cross
184 Reviews
London, UK
Caledonian Sleeper
Caledonian Sleeper
135 Reviews
Scottish Highlands, UK
9. Re: Road Trip from London to Aberdeen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:17