We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

Hi there,

There isn't really a forum for the whole Europe so I just post my question here. Hope it's ok.

Planning a 5-week trip to Europe in Sept-Oct. It's my first time traveling solo in Europe and for such period. Quite nervous about it.

I have an initial itinerary, with numbers of days:

London @ 5

Amsterdam @ 3

Berlin @ 4

Munich @ 2

Prague @ 2

Vienna @ 2

Budapest @ 2

Venice @ 2

Florence/Siena @5

Rome @ 5

1) Do you think this is doable?

2) I haven't really considered the traveling time yet, thinking to take a mix of easy jet and train, which is better?

3) Any where else you think it's a must-go? I am very interested in photography, architecture and museums.

4) I am not sure if i should also cover Edinburgh, Dublin, and DUBROVNIK, CROATIA (saw it on some top-10 list, but not sure if it's easy enough to get there)

Appreciate your tips! Thanks a lot!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

Youhave posted an extensive travel itinerary, which would reduce your experience of the destinations.

I would leave out Budapest and Munich, and add those days to Prague and Vienna.

London - Amsterdam train www.eurostar.com

Amsterdam - Berlin fly www.easyjet.com

Berlin - Prague train www.bahn.de/en

Prague - Vienna train www.oebb.at/en

Vienna - Florence fly www.airberlin.com (Niki)

Florence - Venice train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Venice - Rome train www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Bus Florence to Siena sitabus.it/sita-toscana/firenze-siena2010.pdf

Accommodation www.venere.com

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

Perhaps you should have a look at this:

http://www.busabout.com/

This is a service aimed at solo/backpacker travellers, It does cover many of the places you have on your list, you can buy 'loop tickets' one-ways, returns and flexitrips so you can work it to suit yourself,

Remember that every time you move from one place to another, then realistically you give up that full day to travel. So I'm also going to advise that you cut your itinerary a bit - travel less and see/do more.

Have a look at the different loops that busabout offer, you might find one that fits 'most' of your desires....

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

If you love architecture and museums have you thought about visiting Paris?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

Hi all, thanks for the info.

Been to Paris two years ago so will skip it this time.

I wonder if I get the Eurail Global Pass, does it cover all the train connections mentioned above? It's around EURO690 for 10 days of traveling within 2 months. I haven't planned such a long trip before, not sure how long before should I book the regional flight.... I usually book everything (hotel, flight, transport) before I leave home, but might be this time is more difficult. Any tips from experienced travellers?

Going to Munich only because of Oktoberfest =)

Thanks!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,754 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

"I wonder if I get the Eurail Global Pass, does it cover all the train connections mentioned above? It's around EURO690 for 10 days of traveling within 2 months. "

In general rail passes are a rip off and your itinerary shows you will only neeed to use the train on 6 or 7 days.

It would be alot cheaper to buy point-to-point tickets for each of the days you are traveliing by train.

Looking at the train journeys you want to do I reckon by getting point-to-point tickets will cost you no more than 300Euros, probably less.

That is a lot cheaper than spending nearly 700 Euros on a rail pass.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 13:04
Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

busabout is also cheaper, but hey, you don't seem to like that idea!

I do understand, it is kind-of a 'package' which does sort-of go against the spirit of the thing!

However, I have used greyhound 'loops' in both Australia and the USA and never felt as though anyone was directing me where to go or what to do.

I took a few side trips by train/bus/boat, if they did not go exactly where I wanted to so you are not confined to 'just' sticking with them....

They were excellent value....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
87 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

Hi all,

I have actually expanded my trip into 7 weeks.

Thinking to include Switzerland after Italy

Shall I go on train:

1) Cinque Terre --> Switzerland --> Venice

or

2) Cinque Terre --> Venice --> Switzerland?

Which way is more efficient?

Or shall I just fly?

After that would like to go to Vienna.

And if i just stay 3 days in Switzerland, where shall I go? Berner/Oberland/ Interlaken?

Thanks

P.S Essex - not really a fan of bus travel, get motion sickness easily. thanks for the tips

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

5 days in Florence/Siena is a lot, even if you use up 1/2 day to go to Pisa (50 minutes by train from Florence). Personally I would cut down to 4 and have one more day in Rome. Or even go down to Pompei.

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

For Florence, don't forget to book your tickets on line if you intend to visit the Uffici or L'accademia. If you book online, you will only queue for an hour. Otherwise you can queue for 2 / 3 hours.

10. Re: 31-year-old female solo traveling to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:15