We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions Please

Ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions Please

I am trying to organise a family holiday with 4 adults (ages ranging from 60 years to 30 years) and 1 child (2 years old) from Ireland and would like to holiday in the south of england for a few days.

I have never been so can you suggest the prettiest places to visit and accommodation options. We will only be there for five days so I would like to organise a nice hotel during our short trip. We hope rent a car also.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions Please

What is your intended starting point? (i.e. are you flying and if so, to where, or taking the ferry over?)

This will help with suggestions as the south of England is a vey broad area (it's a good 6 hr drive from the very Kent in the east to Cornwall in the west).

The "south" is usually deemed to extend north of the M4 to include Oxford and the Cotswolds as well, and depending your perspective could extend up as far north as Cambridge.

Are you just looking for one base or more? It's a bit difficult to suggest just one place as a list of the "prettiest" places is always going to be a bit subjective.

Have you a couple of ideas in mind already? I mean have you picked the south of England for any particular reason or just at random? Popular regions include the Cotwolds, New Forest, Isle of Wight, Cornwall etc.

You might find a guidebook such as from the DK Eyewitness range a good start, tend to be quite pictorial and focus on "pretty" places.

Ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions Please

Thanks for your suggestions. I need to get a travel guide and do some research first. Good to know where the popular regions are. Thanks again.

3. Re: Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 20:46