We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car for day trips from Edinburgh?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car for day trips from Edinburgh?

I am going to spend 2 weeks in Edinburgh next month and am trying to plan some day trips outside of the city (perhaps to Pitlochry, North Berwick, Stirling, Fife, Bonnyrigg for falconry). I have been looking at the (many) bus web sites but it is terribly confusing (I don't know if they will hit the places I want to go, if it's hop-on or if I need to book ahead of time). I'm starting to think that renting a car for outside the city would be easier because we would have the freedom to go where we want, stop to explore or take pictures, etc without worrying about whether we're getting on the wrong bus, paying fare again when we get back on or wasting time with many stops.

Would you recommend car rentals in the area? We would NOT be attempting to drive around Edinburgh, just into the surrounding areas and countryside. I know driving in the city proper is difficult, but I think car rentals for the small towns and day roadtrips might alleviate some stress.

And if you believe that buses are the better option, can you please shed some light on how it works? There are so many web sites for the different bus providers and different passes that I'm overwhelmed.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car for day trips from Edinburgh?

I don't know much about buses, but I would think there are only a couple of companies that you need - Lothian for around Edinburgh and something like Citylink for longer distances.

Why not use a generic site like www.travelinescotland.com to get you started?

And why not use a train for some of these places. Much simpler, and relaxing.

2. Re: Renting a car for day trips from Edinburgh?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 13:17