We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britrail pass

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Britrail pass

I am traveling with my wife to the UK (basically London and Liverpool) in September and am wondering if we should get a Britrail pass. One of the concerns we have is whether we are able to make advance booking to secure seats with the Britrail pass, as we don't want to go to the station on the day of travel and realise the train is full and will have to wait for the next train. Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,114 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Britrail pass

It sounds like you would be better off just buying point-to-point tickets for the journeys you wish to make.

London to Liverpool is operated by Virgin Trains. Book in advance via their website to obtain the cheapest Advance fares, which also come with a seat reservation.

If you want more flexibility, you can also buy 'Off Peak' tickets. You can have seat reservations with this if you want, but you aren't tied to those trains if you want to change your plans. On a return journey you can even mix-and-match an Advance fare on one leg and an Off-peak fare on the other.

There are also 'Anytime' tickets but the price of these will make your eyes water. So long as you avoid leaving London before 09.30 or between 15.00 and 18.50 Monday-Friday, or arriving back in London before 11.30 Monday-Friday, you won't need these expensive tickets.

www.virgintrains.co.uk

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Britrail pass

If a train's full, you stand and grab a seat when people get off at the first stop.

The longest journey you seem to be planning is just over 2 hrs, so that highly unlikely eventuality would be only a pain.

But if your only plans are to travel round London and Liverpool, then get a train between them, it's astonishingly unlikely a Britrail pass will be any use to you.

To travel round London, you need a TfL Travelcard or Oystercard, not a Britrail pass which isn't valid on the overwhelming majority of London or Merseyside public transport options . To travel between the two cities, I can't imagine the Britrail pass is remotely as cheap as any deal offered at www.nationalrail.co.uk

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Britrail pass

Thanks a lot!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Britrail pass

Book your train tickets NOW as the price will only go up.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Britrail pass

Tacking on to this. Will be in London for a week in July, 2013. Only plans out of town are a day trip each to IWM Duxford and one to Portsmouth Harbour with a side trip to Bournemouth. Based on what I priced out, a Britrailpass doesn't seem to make sense, especially since we wouldn't be departing London at off-peak times. Am I missing something in my math?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,913 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Britrail pass

No, I think you are right. I very much doubt it would be worth buying a pass to cover those trips, though I am not compeltely up to date with current Britrail prices in the US.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,922 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Britrail pass

@Richard K

Go to www.nationalrail.co.uk to check train times and fares.

There is no point in you buying a Britrail pass for the journeys you want to do.

8. Re: Britrail pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 00:18