We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow terminal transfers

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow terminal transfers

Does anyone know the best way to get from terminal 1 to terminal 4 at Heathrow? The Heathrow website says there are free buses and trains, but it is not at all clear about details.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

If it's a connection where you don't need to collect and recheck luggage all you do is follow the signs to "flight connections" and let them deal with you.

The process whether airside or landside is described on the Heathrow Airport website - generally it's a case of "follow the signs"

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/t…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

Yes - the buses are put on for you, and all the purple flight connections signs take you there in as straightforward manner as is possible in a large airport.

Depending on your ticketing arrangements, you might need to collect your luggage at T1, and then make your way to T4, on the land-side of the security gates. If so, you should use the train - specifically the Heathrow Express which is free for the T1 to T4 journey.

London
Level Contributor
10,214 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

Are you travelling on one ticket (and so - checked through to your final destination) or on two separate tickets? It makes a big difference to the answer

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

OK,here is the exact situation. My wife is flying from Lisbon to London on Friday (arriving T1), leaving here suitcase at the terminal, and staying overnight in a nearby hotel. On Saturday she goes back to T1, picks up her suitcase then need to go to T4 to fly to Brisbane (via KL). The flights were booked together (through an agent) but I'm really not sure whether it counts as one ticket or two. Your advice would be really appreciated.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,928 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

I would consider taking the suitcase with her, as T1 and T4 are not close, and it will be a pain going back to T1 for it.

I don't know the hotels around Heathrow, but you'll get plenty of good advice here, but I would say it would be worth trying to find one near T4. Even if she stays near T1, if she has the suitcase, she can then go straight to T4.

What are the times of the flights?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,674 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

I would second that. As she has to pick up the suitcase anyway and recheck it, take it from Terminal 1 to the hotel then go directly from the hotel to Terminal 4.

7. Re: Heathrow terminal transfers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2013, 10:16