We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Scotland and England

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
2013 Scotland and England

Hello all. Once again I am turning to the Trip Advisor Forums which have helped me so much in the past! Thank you!

This time I am planning a trip with a friend and while I really want to see Scotland (and the Highlands) she would like to visit England as well. We would be travelling in September 2013 and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the best way to do this or perhaps suggest an itinerary that would fit within 2 weeks. We are travelling from Canada to Glasgow.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
716 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 Scotland and England

It depends on what you and your friend are most interested in (cities, scenery, villages, historical sites, the coast, etc.)

With only two weeks, I'd limit myself to the northern half of England; and, since you're planning to travel in September, I'd go north first, then south.

Spend a day in Glasgow, then hire a car and travel past Loch Lomond to Glencoe (scenery); from there to Mallaig and across to Skye (more scenery); spend a day or two on Skye (scenery, walks, boat trips); depart Skye via the bridge to Plockton (coastal village); then via Pitlochry to Edinburgh. You could probably do this in a week.

From Edinburgh, travel through the Borders (Jedburgh, etc) to Durham (history); from there via Whitby (coastal town) to York (historical city). Spend a day in York, then drive to the Yorkshire Dales (scenery, walks, history) or the Lake District (scenery, walks, boat trips); from there, travel back to Glasgow for departure.

That's what I'd do, or something like it, anyway.

Hope this helps get you started with ideas about what you'd like to see.

Suzanne :)

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 Scotland and England

Amazing! Thank you very much for this information and the itinerary reflects exactly the types of interests we have. You've been a great help!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 Scotland and England

I wouldn't disagree with anything Suzy said and the North of England is a v.beautiful and interesting area often overlooked by overseas tourists, but just to add that, if your friend has never been to London and wants to see it, you could dump the car in York and take the 2-hour train ride to London, then travel back to Glasgow via train or plane (plenty of cheap flights via British Airways or Easyjet).

Blaxland, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 Scotland and England

How do I find my question? I posted this on the 15/1/13

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 Scotland and England

you posted on the Inverness forum,

if you go to the absolute top of any page you will find a menu, click on 'your trip advisor' then 'contributions', it will be in there.

6. Re: 2013 Scotland and England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2014, 06:18