We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Passport help and guidance renewal

england
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
UK Passport help and guidance renewal

Hi all, (I posted this on another section of the site but feel i would get more accurate answers here)

My passport doesn't expire till 2014 but the very bottom stitch/binding that runs down the center pages has come loose and all the gold has rubbed off the front.

i want to renew this passport before i travel in feb 2013, would the above be considered as a damaged passport (meaning i would have to send it off as damaged and go down that route) or would it be considered as "wear and tear" and can send it off as a basic renewal??.

Apart from what i mentioned above the rest of it is fine including the picture/ID page.

unsure what to do and appreciated any help/advice offered. Thanks

Durham, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

hi i hoping you can help me i need a visa for turkey now you have to put your fathers 1st name in and i cant remember if ive put steven or stevan ive rang the passport office up and there were no help were would i find this out at

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

Hi Steven,

Visas for Turkey are issued by Turkey not British Passport Office.

Did you apply for an e-Visa? If so there is a contact number on their site.

Durham, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

no i dont have a visa yet but my dads names got to match wots on the visa on my passport chip and i cant remeber wot i have put donw for him how would i finds this out is there some were i can go to read my passport

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

Your fathers name is not on the chip. All that's on it is whats on your passport details page.

www.passportandvisaoffice.com/answer8.php

If you have an android phone with an NFC reader you can see whats on the chip, but if you see this example, you'll see there is no fathers/mothers name.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

Finally, when you say"match the visa on my passport chip" visas arent on passport chips so that makes no sense. What also makes no sense is the idea that the Turkish authorities would have access to the UK passport systems to verify that your father is whoever you said it was when you applied for your passport.

Durham, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

well the passport office said it is on there and if you check the turkish visa it also says that if my fathers names not the same as wots on my visa i wont be allowed to go in to turkey so that for me says i ll never get to turkey again the passport office said to go to an airport and they will tell me but there must be another way

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

well the passport office said it is on there

========

From the official UK government website

http://tinyurl.com/ktkecbz

=========

In 2006, HM Passport Office introduced the e-passports, which include a chip. The chip stores your digitised image and the personal information printed on the personal details page of your passport and >>>>>so there is no personal information held on the chip that you cannot see already.<<<<<

=======

Go and have a look at your passport, you'll find your fathers name is not printed on it anywhere. If you want to waste your time you can go to a passport office and use a reader there.

Are you applying for a visa to work or something other than a standard tourism type visa which you can get just by turning up as I understand?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

I think you have to apply for visa now....but if you are so worried, Steven T,go elsewhere..Greece is much nicer:)

Durham, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

thanks for this page been so useless

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

LOL sorry for being useless, but could not remember your dad's name.....,hehehe

20. Re: UK Passport help and guidance renewal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 17:35