We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping Situation

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping Situation

I apologize for bringing up a tipping question when tipping has been brought up many times before but I am unable to find an answer to this situation. You see, a group of three of us went to a quiet pub and sat at a table. I went to the bar and ordered our round and the barman said he would bring it over to us. When he brought the drinks I paid him but didn't tip. My friend says I should have because it was table service as opposed to counter service. I always thought the rule was you don't tip barmen. Was I wrong? Thanks.

Level Contributor
3,424 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping Situation

No, you were right. You do not tip in that situation.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,802 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping Situation

You don't need to tip ANYONE. If you had tipped the barman at the end of the night, he would have no doubt have accepted it happily but wouldn't have expected it. He was doing his job.

3. Re: Tipping Situation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 13:17