We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving around the UK

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Driving around the UK

My husband and I intend driving around the UK in April/May 2013. We have not been there before, but don't fancy the organised tours, due to not having the freedom, and also the regimental up at 5.30, cases out by 6 sort of thing. Plus you get info overload, and it all starts to blend into one after a while. Done this a few times around Europe, and we're over it. We will have about 3 - 4 weeks.

We are not big on museums, churches etc, only if they are really something special. We both love our sport, and my husband is very keen on playing some golf in Scotland and Ireland.

We really want to get our planning under way, so are hoping for some inspiration to get us started.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving around the UK

Random thoughts.

April May is a nice time to visit.

Taking a hire car to Ireland is not as easy as it seems, most of Ireland is not in the UK and ferries are expensive.

We cant tell you where to go or what to see, get a good book, come up with a plan and we will comment on it and tweak it for you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,813 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving around the UK

Larraine - more random thoughts. This is spring, with possibilities of frost and snow particularly further north and earlier - perhaps start south & work north?

There are public holidays in the UK around this time

29 March Good Friday - England Wales Scotland N Ireland

1 April Easter Monday - England Wales

6 May England Wales Scotland N Ireland

27 May England Wales Scotland N Ireland

Those for Ireland may differ!

School holidays tend to be busier - there is no set pattern, but many schools will have two weeks starting at Easter and another holiday around the late May holiday.

As regards where to go - I'll agree with fuchsia girl & suggest you look at some guide books for ideas. As you mention golf & sport - there are companies that offer, for example, golfing holidays - if you have a look at what they offer you may pick up ideas that you can do independently.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving around the UK

You didn't mention visiting Wales but I'll just point out that the Celtic Manor Resort, South Wales, is where the Ryder Cup was held in 2010. They do short golfing breaks and it's only a 40 minute drive from Bristol, England, over the Severn Crossing bridge.

cambs
Level Contributor
537 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving around the UK

hi

for your time in Scotland (apart from a day or two in Edinburgh) I'd concentrate on the west coast and islands

something along the lines of

edinurgh

glasgow

loch lomond

crianlarich

glencoe

ballachulish

fort william

mallaig

ferry to skye

return to mainland at kyle of lochalsh

plocton

loch carron

applecross

shieldaig

torridon

hinlochewe

achnasheen

inverness

pit;ochry

edinburgh

you migh want to try and fit in more islands

eg

mull\iona\staffa

or the outer hebrides

look on the CALMAC website for ferry info

other good places include

oban

inverarey

ayrshire coast

east neuk and st andrewes in fife

dont know ireland so well but the donegal coast is absolutely outstanding!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,053 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving around the UK

"We are not big on museums, churches etc, only if they are really something special."

Special in what way !?

You could visit Liverpool and the Anglican Cathedral which is the largest cathedral in the UK and 5th largest in the world. I'd say that was rather special !

Close to Liverpool are Royal Liverpool Golf Club in Hoylake, Royal Birkdale Golf Club, and further up the Lancashire coast, the Royal Lytham and St Annes Golf Club - all venues where the British Open has taken place.

6. Re: Driving around the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2013, 10:18