We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time for 14 day self drive

indiana
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
best time for 14 day self drive

Arrive London Leave Edinburgh. 6 adults

considering August or September. Will not spend more than 1 day in London. Want mostly smaller towns and villages. Want to see Stonehenge, bath, snowdonia, Fort william area maybe day trip to Loch Ness area.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

Our weather is very unpredictable but I guess August gives you a better chance of good conditions; whichever month you choose could be good or bad, not a very helpful answer but thats just how it is here. August is the month when all schools are closed for the summer holidays and of course it is the height of the tourist season, our schools usually reopen about the end of the first week of September. The only other advice I would give is read the road trip forums for the UK and remember that a 200 mile journey here can take a lot more time than back in the US.

Edited: 03 November 2012, 12:51
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

Just a reminder that barfin speaks about Yorkshire and England. School holidays in Scotland run a little earlier in the year. Here in Edinburgh, for example, the dates next year are 28 June - 14 August. That said, end of August is nevertheless the most crowded part of the year here in Edinburgh on account of the Festivals, and most of Scotland sees similar pressure at that time.

Things do tail off significantly once September starts, so if the only alternative is August and as your remarks suggest that the Edinburgh Festivals aren't likely of interest to you, you will probably prefer that month.

If you had a free hand on dates, I would recommend June particularly, as the weather is warm, the venues are open and the longer days give you more flexibility.

indiana
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

are schools still in session in June.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

"are schools still in session in June."

Yes - as barfin indicated, English schools usually break mid- to late-July and return end-August or early September. So families with schoolchildren are not often able to take their holidays during June. (That said, you will see older schoolchildren on the streets during that month, as it's the exam season and those taking exams are not always required to attend other than for the exams themselves.)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

September is my favourite month of all 12 in the UK, still warm, some beautiful cloudless days, may be my imagination but I always think the weather improves once the children go back to school in the first week of September.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

I would avoid the last 2 weeks of July and the whole of August as places will be more crowded and expensive due to school holidays.

indiana
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

we will be leaving US sept 6 an return on Sept 21. Now the planning begins.

8. Re: best time for 14 day self drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 10:16