We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Britrail pass

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Britrail pass

hi,

i will be travelling to UK in jan and will be purchasing a britrail pass.

like to check

1) do i need to reserve seats on trains? if yes, how to go about doing so?

2) if question 1 is yes, for london-manchester-liverpool-edinburgh-london, which route is more popular that requires a reservation?

3) If a train is full (seats full), does the train allow standing?

4) how big is the overhead luggage rack? can it fit a 25" luggage case?

5) do the trains normally run on time?

thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Britrail pass

Hi there: "do trains run on time?"

I'm afraid that,by Singapore standards, our public transport is expensive and unreliable. Pls allow around 10-15 minutes for trains to arrive after their scheduled eta.

Hope you still have agood time though....TT

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Britrail pass

1a. Sometimes, on some routes and certain times of the day.

1b. Britrail will sell you seat reservations if you want to do it before leaving Singapore. If you wait until you get to the UK, go to any train station, show your pass and make your reservations. There may or may not be a fee. If there is a fee, it will be less than what Britrail would have charged.

2. I have seen people standing on portions of the Edinburgh to London route; I would reserve. I might also reserve on the London to Manchester segment if I was travelling weekday at morning business traveler times.

3. Yes

4a. I have never travelled with a tape measure.

4b. Definitely not.

5. You can find performance statistics on the various train company websites. Generally, on-time performance is above 90%.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Britrail pass

1. You don't need to but often can. Visit a station

2. Pass

3 Yes

4. Maybe. The 25 inches is not the problem - it's the depth of the case. There are racks at the end of the carriage anyway

5. Reasonably near to time, most of the time.

Level Contributor
3,395 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Britrail pass

1. At ticket offices.

2. Your question doesnt make sense. You have little practical option but to follow 1 route for each leg, very rarely is there genuine choice of routes in the UK. Exeter to London, London to Glagow/Edinburgh, London to Birmingham are the 3 that spring to mind on mainline routes

London to Manchester - Euston to Piccadilly, no other sensible option

Manchester to Liverpool - Direct service no other sensible option

Liverpool to Edinburgh - A fiddly journey, requiring at least 1 change, probably at Wigan North Western, but potentially another further up the west coast mainline depending on time you travel

Edinburgh to London - The only one you have a choice for, using either the East or West coast mainlines

3. Yes, but the only one that you'd want to would be on the Manchester to Liverpool or first leg of the Liverpool to Edinburgh, all the rest are long journeys

4. It depends on the TOC and the journey

5. It depends what you mean on time. Most TOCs run about 90% punctality rates, but that is normally on the basis of a 10 minute window at the final destination.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,141 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Britrail pass

1) On long distance trains it is advised. With a BritRail pass you will need to go to a railway station; I don't think you can make reservations-only online. There are always some seats left unreserved on all services.

2) London-Manchester and Edinburgh-London would be well advised to reserve.

3) Yes.

4) Small items only. A case will have to go in the luggage rack at the end of the carriage. London-Edinburgh on East Coast services there is a luggage compartment at Coach A.

5) Something like 98% run within 5 minutes of timetable.

Level Contributor
3,395 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Britrail pass

5) Something like 98% run within 5 minutes of timetable.

---

No they dont. That might be an accurate % for reliability these days, if not higher. But no way on earth is that the punctiality average.

The only number I can see is on Network Rails website which says Sept/Oct was 92.3% and the best EVER figure being 92.8%

7. Re: Britrail pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 10:17