We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days outside London

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Four days outside London

I will like to spend four days outside London on my visit next March.

What do you think of my plans:

Day 1. Depart London early in the morning to Oxford (stay overnight) so I will have most of the day for visiting Oxford

Day 2. Day trip to Stratford Upon Avon? Overnight in Oxford

Day 3. Depart early morning for Cambridge arriving at midday Ovrnight in Cambridge

Day 4. Depart in the afternoon for London. This way I will have more than a day for visiting Cambridge.

thanks

Jose

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days outside London

If I was staying in Oxford I would probably visit Blenheim Palace rather than Stratford Upon Avon

http://www.blenheimpalace.com/

Stratford Upon Avon is a pleasant enough old town, but there are many better ones. The only reason I would go would be to see a play.

I don't know what your interests are, but you seem to be confining your visit to the two old university towns and Shakespeare's birthplace. Is this because they are the places you have heard of? There are many other fine old towns worth considering. And don't forget Windsor is between London and Oxford so could easily be included.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days outside London

Ignore FlannerUK's views of Blenheim Palace - unless you are an architecture nerd who derides any building which is not the "best" example of that style in the world, you will find it it interesting and charming. Spanish and French friends of mine have all enjoyed visiting and been impressed by it, and the surrounding park and gardens, which are both extensive and beautiful. Woodstock (the town in which Blenheim is situated) is a pretty market town of Cotswold stone with many fine restaurants and interesting shops, and it is only 30 minutes from Oxford with a frequent bus service. Blenheim Palace has its own website if you would like to take a look for yourself.

http://www.blenheimpalace.com/

http://www.cotswolds.info/places/woodstock/

Stratford is quite a small town and although it has some nice historic buildings I would agree that there is not much to see there unless you are visiting the theatre.

Warwick is another possibility - it has an interesting castle with lots of activities, but some people find it a little bit "Disneyfied" and artificial. It is also nowhere near as impressive a building as Blenheim Palace. The town of Warwick is also attractive but it is further away than Woodstock and, in my view, no more interesting.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days outside London

Iggyfitz makes a good point. Oxford and Cambridge are rather similar. If I were you I would drop one of them and visit Bath, or York, instead. Oxford to Bath takes about 1.5 hours by train; Oxford to York takes about 3.5 hours by train; Cambridge to York takes about 2.5 hours by train; York to London can be done in 2 hours by train and Bath to London is about 1.5 hours.

Details and fares are here

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days outside London

Thank you for your replies

Maybe it would be a good idea to spend the three nights at Oxford and do some day trip from there. This evening will study about Bath and York.-

Any other idea for a beautiful town or village to visit from Oxfor by public transport would be wellcome. Interested in some historic town with lovely architecture and places of interest or with some lovelyt scenery around. Highly interested in photography.

Jose

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days outside London

You could probably spend a week in Oxford itself exploring the photographic opportunities - there are some lovely walks into the countryside along the river through Port Meadow, or past the University boathouses towards Iffley Lock. If you get up early, and there is mist on the river, or the boat crews are starting their morning training, you should have plenty to photograph.

Otherwise, you could visit the Stone circles at Avebury and nearby Silbury Hill. It's about 2 hours on the bus but it's an interesting neolithic site. I guess a lot depends on how much time your fellow travellers are prepared to devote to your hobby!

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days outside London

Thank you very much Pool for your suggestions

I have been looking at Bath and is gaining points in my list.

About my fellow travellers: no problem with that, I will be travelling alone

Jose

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days outside London

Ah, my mistake, I had confused you with another poster who was travelling with a family in tow. That makes life a lot simpler then.

You may find these sites useful for planning your travels - the first one is for trains only, the second one helps you to plan your journey using bus and train. The traveline website is organised on a regional basis so you will need the south-east section for oxford, the south-west for Bath.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://traveline.info/

If you do spend some time in Bath then Lacock is a pretty village about 50 minutes away by bus

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,792 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four days outside London

I think Burford is a beautiful town. You could just take a tour of the Cotswolds, and maximise your time.

9. Re: Four days outside London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 03:17