We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail or easy jet

Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Rail or easy jet

Hi

We are planning a trip to london , brussels , amsterdam and paris . If we take easyjet or ryan air, is it cheaper as compared to eurail ? I have heard its almost the same as budget airlines airports are located far from the city centre and the taxis to city centre wud add to cost, making it somewhat closer to eurail fair? Please help.

Thanks

Saad

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail or easy jet

That's correct. There are often arguments here as to which is cheaper and in my experience, the best answer is "it depends". You have to add up all the various costs, each way. For what it's worth, all those cities are served by good rail networks. I usually land up flying from Edinburgh to Brussels, Amsterdam and Paris, and taking the train to London, but I have sometimes given serious consideration to using the Eurostar connection, even with the greater distance. My colleagues travelling between those cities, especially the continental three, mostly use the train.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail or easy jet

It depends;

Where you are travelling between,

When you purchase the tickets,

How much luggage you have,

How you travel from where you are to the airport, and from the airport to where you wish to be.

London
Level Contributor
9,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail or easy jet

Don't assume that easyjet / Ryanair are cheaper than 'traditional' carriers such as BA. It isn't always true, especially if you have hold luggage.

No general answer to your question, loads of variables on every route....

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,316 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail or easy jet

No such thing as eurial unless they are an agent. The trains under the Channel are run by Eurostar and the cheapest tickets are on their website.

Train - city centre to city centre, all the luggage you can carry within reason.

Traditional airlines - main airports, baggage etc. included. Can be cheap if booked ahead

Budget airlines - somewhere to somewhere else - charges for everything, get treated like dirt (depending on the carrier)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,944 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rail or easy jet

For the trip you are planning I would use Eurostar.

Don't confuse Eurostar which is a train service, with Eurail, which is a type of rail pass that is a rip-off.

Eurostar operate a train service from London St Pancras to Paris and Brussels. And train travel within Europe is very easy to organise and cheap, as well as being more conveniant and quicker (if you take out the time it gets to an out of city airport + check-in time etc) than flying.

You don't say when you plan on travelling but here's an example of what you could do:

London to Paris by Eurostar, spend a couple of nights in Paris and then...

Paris to Brussels by Thalys, a night in Brussels and maybe a night in Bruges, which is an hour away by train from Brussels.

Train from Brussels, or Bruges (via Antwerp) to Amsterdam.

A night or two in Amsterdam, then Thalys back to Brussels and Eurostar to London; or just fly from Amsterdam Schipol airport which is only 20 mins on the train from Amsterdam Centraal and costs less than 5 Euros on the train (no need to take a taxi!).

Check the following websites:

www.eurostar.com

www.thalys.com

P.S. any more questions about Eurostar, Thalys and train travel in Europe please ask questions on the Train Travel forum for the best advice. ;-)

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_…

Edited: 05 December 2012, 21:33
Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,634 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rail or easy jet

London to Paris or Brussels starts at £39, booking opens 120 days ahead at www.eurostar.com - faster and more convenient than any flight.

Paris to Brussels or Amsterdam starts at €35, that's centre to centre with no fees or extra costs to pay, booking opens 90 days ahead at www.thalys.com - Paris-Amsterdam now takes just 3 hours 5 min, as fast as any flight but a lot more relaxing!

Brussels to Amsterdam starts at €25 with Fyra, book both Fyra and Thalys at www.b-Europe.com - you can also book Bruges to Amsterdam or whatever there.

For London to Amsterdam, consider the time-effective Dutch Flyer train and ferry, where you sleep on a super ferry in a private cabin with shower, toilet, satellite TV and free WiFi, from £39 plus cabin cost at www.dutchflyer.co.uk

Edited: 08 December 2012, 20:50
7. Re: Rail or easy jet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 18:16