We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise for winter sun

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Need advise for winter sun

I Haven't travel for 10 years due to back problems. I want to travel from London Heathrow, looking for somewhere hot, 4 hours max on a plain because of my back problem.

I'm not sure which is cheaper, Package or DIY.

I was thinking about Egypt but i believe its cold at night so i want somewhere that is not cold at night time.

I want to be by the sea, I like hills, mountains and forest.

My budget is low cause I'm not working, I'm going 14 days from 20th Dec, any suggestions appreciate it.

Thank you.

Rowlands Castle...
Level Contributor
21 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise for winter sun

Try the canaries, you can get budget flights and reasonable cost hotels. The flight is under 4 hours

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,864 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise for winter sun

So somewhere hot in December, over Christmas/NYE actually, especially at night, four hours from London with beaches, trees, hills, mountains and you want it really cheap? Oh and you want this with only 10 days notice.

Some compromise need to be done here.

I agree with Post 1. about the only really temperate place within 4 hours would be the Canaries. However because of it's close proximity to mainland Europe and because it is warm it is very popular at this time of year.

No-where on the Med is that warm in December even the Greek Islands get colder at night and you are talking over 5 hours to Cyprus.

Just checked skyscanner and flights on your dates even with Ryanscare are a WHOPPING £430. Plus accommodation will be scarce and expensive.

I just got back from Spain today and although it was 15C and sunny in the daytime at night it was only 6C so quite chilly. That was Alicante area. Down at Malaga you may fare better weather wise but anywhere with a bit of sun over Christmas will be expensive especially at short notice.

My advice would be head down to your local travel agent to see if they have any cancellations.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise for winter sun

You could also look at Morocco. I've just got back from Marrakech which was a 3hr flight (scheduled at 3hrs 40), the temp was supposedly about 16-18C but the sun was very intense with no clouds and it felt much hotter (in fact a bit too hot for me really). A bit chilly at night and first thing in morning, 5-6C then but ok with a couple of layers, dark at 5.30pm, but this may be too cool for you.

Marrakech itself is pretty hectic and perhaps more for an adventure rather than to relax though you can take trips to the coast at Essaouira or the Atlas mountains which are about 2-3 hrs drive. I think Morocco's main modern beach resort is Agadir which is a little further south but I have no other knowledge of it except that you can get direct flights from the UK.

4. Re: Need advise for winter sun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:16