We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
7 posts
Save Topic
MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

My partner and I booked with MJB, via Booking.com - booking nr.567263937 - and paid in advance for a stay of one night.

However when we got there after driving around for a while trying to find the place, there was no one there, neither could we get hold of MJB over the published phone number.

Also Booking.com didn't provide an alternative lodging solution.

I've been to many places and I never thought anything like this could ever happen.

Very unhappy with both MJB and Booking.com.

UNBELIEVABLE

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Essex
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

mjb??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

They have hotels everywhere - which hotel were you booked into?

This is their website: http://www.mjbhotels.com/

but when you do an accommodation search it takes you to http://www.bookdirectrooms.com/ .......additional search info.......

Just looking at the TA reviews for "Plantation House" in Norwich and they talk about being emailed a code to get in - could it be that there was no one there but you should have had a code? Difficult to get if you don't have email access, I suppose.

Albufeira, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

I used booking and unfortunately it didn't happen as you wrote.

They charged the room, but never sent the email with the access code, neither answered the phone (within the check-in hours they posted). I double checked the email and tried to call severall times...

If MJB was an honorable corporation, the least they should have done was to refund the money back (which they never did)... and still wouldn't repay the hassle and costs I went through that night.

Booking was hopeless too!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,833 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

"They charged the room, but never sent the email with the access code,"

Why didn't contact www.booking.com to advise them that you received no confirmation email with the access code from MJB?

That's the first thing I would have done.

Also, you didn't pay booking.com - it clearly says:

"No booking fees. You only pay the hotel. Booking.com will never charge your credit card."

On the occasions that I have used booking.com I have always selected a hotel with free cancellation and where I have paid on check-in or check-out. I have never paid in advance.

And I've just read some of the reviews about the MJB properties and problems other people have had with not receiving the access code. That should have set the alarm bells ringing !

Albufeira, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

I totally agree with you as when i look back now, I'm very sorry to have trusted the system and both corporations envolved.

It probably happen because I'm used to deal with honest people and companies, that take reputation very seriously. In fact, for more than over 20 years of dealing in tourism (both as professional as well as a customer) it was the first time I found myself dealing with such a dishonorable company.

The facts are that MJB are sustaining their business model in selling and not delivering on a systematic basis (as you said other people have experienced it too). And if that is the case, then they should be reputed as a dishonorable organization, because that is the way they are behaving. And what such kind of business I choose not to deal with

When I go to booking.com I expect to deal with hotels that have a concern in delivering the service and when they don't, then they make sure they have an alternative solution or in last case you give a refund to your customers.

The facts are that both MJB and Booking.com (as the intermediary who indirectly recommended this establishment) did none of the 3!

My purpose in sharing my terrible experience is to make people aware of what kind of people they are dealing with, so that they also do not fall in a similar scam.

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

I hope you checked your junk email folder to check that their email with the code wasn't there. A lot of emails from businesses, especially those from abroad, can end up in the junk folder.

Albufeira, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

I thought about it at the time and checked it thouroughly over and over again. Inbeetwin I was also trying to call MJB on their phone number. It was hopeless... And all of it took place during MJB oficial check-in hours (4-10PM).

As last resort I spent all my mobile phone credit (about 1 hour) talking to booking.com call center, which was based in the US, had no idea and couldn't do things any better.

Like I said it was the first time in my life that someone charged me for a booking and didn't deliver... I didn't think it could ever be possible and I do think the law should be harsh against these kind of malpractice.

At the bottom end for a crook company like a MJB to make a small profit, the tourism image ends severely damaged (as I'll never trust anyone else in these matters from now on).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

Which hotel was it and how much did they charge you? Can you find an email address for the hotel and try contacting them that way?

Did you pay by credit card? If so, perhaps contact your bank and see if they feel you could dispute the transaction? If you should have received an email code for access to the property and they failed to provide it (and they definitely had your correct email address??) but you were charged then it sounds like a disputable transaction. You could start there.

Not sure I'd bother with booking.com, especially if it's the hotel that takes the money, not booking.com itself.

If all else fails, make a claim on your travel insurance (unless the amount lost is less than the excess on the policy).

Edited: 21 December 2012, 00:45
Albufeira, Portugal
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

More important than the money it was the principle of all this situation. If I consider both the hassle and aditional costs were far worse than the price of the booking with MJB.

Because of this scam from MJB, booking.com has suspended the selling of this establishment untill their investigation is concluded:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/mjb-barrow-upon-humber-dean-s-delight-cottage.en-gb.html?sid=21095d970b5ebfcd12bc66dfc78533cf;dcid=1

Also, an important portuguese travel magazine is going to publish in their January issue an article about the malpractice policies from MJB, as well as for the lack of influence from booking.com next to their partners, resulting unable to help the customers in such delicate matters.

I will continue to complain in all the means I have at my reach. specially those located in the UK / Lincolnshire as most of MJB customers are based in these outgoing markets.

Edited: 21 December 2012, 01:05
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MJB is a dishonorable organization!!!

A lot of these cottages use code locked key boxes we've used these several times, it is important though to ensure you get the code for these boxes and a lot of places like helpful cottages etc will send you the details you need in the post so you don't have to rely on an email.

Interestingly though it's not possible to book that cottage through booking.com at present.