We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic weekend away

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic weekend away

It's my girlfriends birthday coming up, and I am planning on taking her away for the weekend. I've searched the Internet and really can't decide what is best to do. I was thinking of Manchester, see a play, but what else is there to do?

Another option I had was a countryside hotel/log cabin.

I live in shrewsbury, and won't finish work until 5pm on the Friday. So I don't really want to travel too far as i don't want to spend the weekend driving. Around 2 hours maybe.

Any ideas welcome, and thankyou in advance!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic weekend away

Obviously we all like different things but Manchester does not scream romance to me, I have to say!

Have you thought about the Peak District? You could stay somewhere like Tideswell, Bakewell or similar and have stunning scenery and loads of things to do nearby (Chatsworth, Matlock Bath, Blue John Cavern, lovely pubs, wonderful walks, Edale, Buxton, etc, etc)

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,331 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic weekend away

If the Peak District does appeal & if you are keen to see a play or other theatre event have a look to see what is on at Buxton Opera House on your away dates - a lovely traditional old theatre; make sure you google some interior pictures of the actual theatre as well as the "What's on" info.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic weekend away

Ahhh, brilliant. Hadn't even thought of that! I thought of the Lake District, but ruled against it because it's a little too much time spent driving!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic weekend away

Anywhere in the world can be romantic - but YOU have to make it so......

5. Re: Romantic weekend away

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 06:16