We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
155 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

I've been to London many times but am considering going to the UK in the spring with my husband and baby, who will be 6 months old at the time. Am I crazy? My husband thinks I am! I get his point, with the logistics of lugging a stroller, formula, bottles, diapers and all his other gear to another country and a long flight (we're in Philly, so 7ish hours to London). He's concerned about the baby crying the whole time on the plane, or not wanting to sleep when we get there w/ time change.

We've never been to Scotland, and I'd LOVE to go, plus I've got a friend there who I haven't seen in years. My thought was to fly to London for a few days and then fly to Edinburgh to see our friends. Has anyone done this before with a baby or toddler? Or should I just suck it up and go to Disney with all the other parents...(ugh)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Save it for when the child can appreciate it.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Go to Disney World ;-)

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

I would just stay home with a baby, Disney World or London, too young for any of it, just wants to be in the garden with Mum and Dad.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,806 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

It's not something I would consider doing, at least not until the child is older.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Once you've given birth that freedom to roam the planet just gets significantly reduced.

London
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Go for it, my parents took me brother back and to between London and Toronto (similar flight time)from the age of 3 months, they mainly sleep ad people are sympathetic. Better than when they're a three/four when a child requires constant entertainment for the entire duration.

London
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Go for it, my parents took me brother back and to between London and Toronto (similar flight time)from the age of 3 months, they mainly sleep ad people are sympathetic. Better than when they're a three/four when a child requires constant entertainment for the entire duration.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,751 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Could you leave the child at home with grandparents?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

Disney is wasted on children! Most of the kids we saw there were either asleep or crying.

Wouldn't personally want to treck around London with a baby, but maybe a holiday in a nice lodge or cottage in Scotland would work out OK.

10. Re: Travel to UK with Infant...should I even bother?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 08:05