We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

San Antonio, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

Hello! I'm playing with a band from Texas that is performing at the Caithness country music festival over Easter weekend. I'm so excited as this is my first trip to Scotland! Me and my band travel partner are planning on staying 3 extra days after the festival ends on Sunday. We are flying into and out of Glasgow, and transportation to and from Glasgow to Caithness is being provided by the festival. We will be returning to Glasgow with the rest of the band who will be catching early Monday morning flights.

After considering options of visiting either Dublin, London or Edinburgh in the time we have, we have decided that we definitely want to visit Edinburgh, and that we really don't have time for traveling too far from Glasgow.

So I would like to ask opinions of locals on our plans, and ask about hotel accommodations in Edinburgh.

It looks like we will be able to catch the train to Edinburgh from the Glasgow airport and are looking at getting off at the Waverly station in Edinburgh... My question, is the train station actually at the Glasgow airport, or is there a bit of walking involved? We will have luggage in tow.

After arrival at the Waverly station, we are considering the Carlton hotel or the Edinburgh City hotel... Are these good options for a comfortable twin room within walking distance of the station (with luggage)? Or does someone have another suggestion? We would love a good B&B to get more of a feel for local culture, but they all seem to be a bit of distance for a couple Texas gals who don't know the bus system.

We are planning on spending 2 nights and 2 and 1/2 days in Edinburgh before taking the train back to Glasgow and our flight back... I know we are going to.wish we had more time to explore this amazing city! Any and all suggestions on must sees and dos are welcome!

We are planning on seeing a few of the highlights, want to visit some pubs and sample authentic Scottish brews and foods at night, plus some good shopping... And if possible, hear some of the local music...

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

There is no train station at Glasgow airport I'm afraid. If you are being brought back to Glasgow it would be great if you could be drooped off in the city centre where you could get the train from Queen St station to Waverley.

Failing that there is the option of a bus from the airport to Edinburgh.

Someone will no doubt post the specific details shortly.

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

Caithness to Glasgow is a long schlep. If you intend to be at the festival on Sunday evening, you'd need to be driven through the night to get to GLA airport for Monday morning. Is that the plan?

Depending on exactly how you are getting back towards Glasgow, you may be able to be dropped off (Stirling would be the obvious choice) before you get to Glasgow, and get a train direct to Edinburgh from there.

San Antonio, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

Thank you for the info on the train station!! That is exactly what I was wondering. We are playing at the festival Sunday afternoon, and I'm sure we will be driven back to Glasgow either immediately after the afternoon performance, or through the night, as you say.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

I'm not sure how a B&B would give you more of a feel for local culture. B&Bs in this country are a different beast to those in the US. In the UK, a B&B is basically someone's home with one or two spare rooms.

As you say, these tend to be in the suburbs and although you will be able to chat to your hosts, I think the benefits of a city centre hotel outweigh this for a flying visit.

If you pick the Carlton, for example, it's a few minutes walk with your luggage from Waverley Station. It's also almost on the Royal Mile in the heart of the Old Town which is where you probably want to be.

If you must get dropped off at Glasgow Airport take the airport bus into Glasgow and then the train from Queen Street Station to Edinburgh

San Antonio, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

Thank you so much for the response! Very helpful! We are so excited to get to spend a few days in Edinburgh! It looks like an amazing city to visit and we want to make the most of our few days.

San Antonio, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

One more question... What should we be prepared for as far as weather goes? Easter weekend.

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

Weather. Be prepared for anything. That's not being flippant - just a reflection that our weather is totally unpredictable.

San Antonio, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

Ok, I understand that perfectly! Same is true here in Texas. Can be 85 Farenheit one day, and freezing rain and ice the next... In January. So I will just pack similar, but with a heavier coat!!

9. Re: First trip to Glasgow, Caithness, and Edinburgh in March!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 05:18