We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self organised vacation

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Self organised vacation

We are couple in our 60's planning a trip next Autumn ( Spring in the UK) for six weeks. We have already planned one week in London but we are wanting ideas for the next five weeks. The questions we are seeking advice are about:

Travelling by car or train

Staying for a week at a time in Scotland, Ireland, Wales then two single weeks in parts of England versus travelling and staying for two or three nights at at a time

Booking accommodation well ahead of our trip or as we go

If hiring a car how do we go about it.

Should we mix out travel I.e. some train and some car.

I look forward to receiving responses.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self organised vacation

IF you're starting in London, train is the ideal way of getting to a lot of places; York, Edinburgh etc., Then you could collect a car in Scotland and meander back south again. Or you could plan a circular driving route. It partly depends on which places you want to see, and how much you enjoy driving on busy roads. Do you want to concentrate on seeing places with train stations, or get out into the countryside more? UK roads tend to be busy, and perhaps bendy (depends where you come from of course).

So I think your next step is to firm up where you might want to go to.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self organised vacation

You need to buy a guide book of Great Britain and have a look where "you" would like to visit, then come back to us and ask if your trip is viable.

You could get several dozen different suggestions for itineraries from this forum, but without knowing what your interests are.........

Here's a starter for you: visitbritain.com/en/Destinations-and-Maps/

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self organised vacation

Thank you Martin C for your thoughtful advice. We have pretty well firmed in our mind that we will do what you have suggested and go to Edinburgh from London then onto Glascow by car for a couple of days, then work our way back with stays of two nights or in three of the places we are yet to choose in each of Ireland and Wales with Yorkshire and Cambridge as our weekly stays in England. What is your opinion on this so far. I realise the planning is still in its embryonic form but at least it is beginning to develop.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self organised vacation

Train to Glasgow would be better.

Taking a rental car to Ireland could be expensive. Maybe better to fly and rent another there.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,764 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self organised vacation

As Peter Scot has said, it will be expensive to take a car to Ireland.

Firstly there is the issue of taking a car from one jurisdiction to another. The second is the cost of taking the car on a ferry.

But also you have the time constraints. It will take you the best part of a day to travel by ferry AND what are you going to do with the car when you leave?

Where are you flying in and out of? An Open Jaw (fly into one airport and out of another) is better given what you are planning rather than having to return to your original point of arrival.

Ireland (and England and Scotland and Wales) is (are) a lot bigger than it (they) looks on paper.

I would suggest you think about what you want to achieve from the different elements of your holiday. For example (idiosyncratic examples and probably not things you are interested in but!!):

- Do you want do a literary tour of Dublin?

- Do you want to explore the history of the Industrial Revolution in England?

- Do you want to visit Titanic related stuff?

- Do you want to buy a bottle of Whisky at source?

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Self organised vacation

Mat 1376 thank you. We started to think more seriously after hearing form you and Martin C. The itinerary is still general but we are getting closer to the definitive. We don't want to rush it as we always find the anticipation is a very exciting part of the process and at our age we need all the excitement we can get! Seriously though I have been grateful for your response.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Self organised vacation

Being the naive traveller I didn't realise that it would be so expensive in Ireland car- wise. Will re- think that aspect of the trip. I already have more to consider than I expected. Isn't that great.

Open jaw is certainly worth considering.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,764 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self organised vacation

Flying between Ireland and the UK is far easier and you can get very reasonably priced flights if you book in advance.

For example Flybe will soon be operating flights from Glasgow in Scotland to Shannon in the Mid West of Ireland. This will give you access to the beautiful South West including Kerry and Cork (Ring of Kerry, Dingle, Ring of Beara, Magnificent West Cork - google image them!!). Or you could go north to Galway and Connemara (Clifden, Kylemore, Killary, Cong, Mayo, Sligo - again google image).

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self organised vacation

Bean A, you have made my focus sharper ( it still has along way to go I know) but we are interested in most things and there lies the problem but probably our major interest is the history and art. We would , however, like to embrace the culture and it is so broad isn't it.

Edited: 06 February 2013, 23:57
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Self organised vacation

Please excuse my typos on this thread....injured my hand.