We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in June

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in June

Hi, I need help in tweaking this itinerary. Here's a sketch:

June 1 - Arrive Heathrow, 545pm. Stay overnight in London.

June 2-3 - Visit my friend in Edinburgh, spend at least two nights there

June 4-6 - No idea where to go

June 7 - Be back in London to watch concert at Royal Albert Hall

June 8 - Meet my friend who will arrive through Heathrow and join me for the rest of the trip

June 9 - Visit Stonehenge/Salisbury, proceed to Torquay

June 9-10 - 2 nights in Torquay

June 11-12 - 2 nights in Bath

June 13-14 - 2 nights in London

June 15 - Leave from Heathrow, 825pm

I'm interested in archaeological stuff and classical (piano) music and I am hoping to squeeze them in before my friend arrives on 8th of June. He doesn't have much time but I know he loves the seaside and shopping.

Helpful comments and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
83 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in June

Your June 4 - 6 wouldn't be wasted exploring more of Scotland because it's such a great place, although going straight from London to Scotland and then straight back to London again will be a lot of travel time. You could break it up a little by maybe heading back south after seeing your friend, like stopping in York and then a stop in Oxford or something.

Bath is a small town and can easily be done in one day (we just spent a day there last week). I would take one of those two days and apply it to London instead. You could spend two solid weeks in London and still feel like you had missed stuff.

Just some thoughts! See my map; I can advise on any of the places I've been.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
554 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in June

Between Edinburgh and London - 4-6 June - you should really explore more of Scotland. So near midsummer it is still light until 11pm in some places, and that makes June a fabulous time of year to visit Scotland.

Since you like archaeology, you could visit Kilmartin - http://www.kilmartin.org/ - fabulous pre-historic site around three hours from Edinburgh. The route there takes you alongside the legendary Loch Lomond too.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in June

Thanks Marilynn and Mary for your suggestions!

It looks like I'll do more of the Scotland and maybe Central England before my friend arrives. I'll probably do a day trip to either Oxford or Cambridge to visit some archaeological museums on the 8th of June as I'm practically free the entire day until my friend arrives late at night.

As for Bath, I was thinking of cutting it down to an overnight. Maybe we leave Torquay early morning on June 10 and leave Bath for London late afternoon on June 11. That would make it 2 half days and 1 night in Bath. Is this fine?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Essex
Level Contributor
30,151 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in June

Why don't you fly straight to Edinburgh?? CAN you?? Seems as though it will cut out ahelluvalotta faffing and wasted time.....

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
T B
London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in June

It would be expensive to fly to Edinburgh, and that money could be used on train tickets, and stop offs in a couple of places, such as York (as previously stated), as well as somewhere further south.

Scotland would be a beautiful place to explore further if you wished, and I am sure you wouldn't be disappointed!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Essex
Level Contributor
30,151 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in June

Yeah, but as the OP is arriving day 1, then going straight to Edinburgh day 2, without any stop offs.

If you consider that, then maybe, going there direct rather than "overnighting" but not really doing anything in London, will be a lot more cost effective.....

Edited: 18 February 2013, 01:18
Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
T B
London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in June

Ah, I see.

In that case, if it works out cheaper, I would indeed, too, fly to Edinburgh. No wasting time!

If not, just make the most of the two days after Edinburgh to explore Scotland. There's plenty there to see, and you'll more than likely be entertained for the duration.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
30 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in June

Thanks EssexWanderer and ExploringLondon!

I did consider flying to Edinburgh from Heathrow on my arrival. My only concern is that I may not have the patience, energy and stamina to take another flight as I will have flown over 16 hours (including stopover) from Asia. The last time I did something similar, I was cursing myself for putting myself in that position.

Having said that, I'm not completely ruling it out. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense. If I stay overnight in London, I will have to book a hotel and take a long train ride in the morning. Whereas if I fly straight to Edinburgh, perhaps my friend can pick me up at Edinburgh airport and I could save on the hotel and travel time.

If my international flight arrives LHR at 545pm, would I have enough time to connect to Edinburgh via Virgin Atlantic with ETD of 750pm?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Asia
Asia
World
9. Re: 2 weeks in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16