We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to the United Kingdom.

Placerville, CA
7 posts
Save Topic
1st trip to the United Kingdom.

We start are trip in London, travel up to Scottland, then over to Northern Ireland and down to Dublin. We will be there in June. Clothing - any suggestions for that time of year? Water - can we drink the tap water or do we need to buy bottled water? It's a long fight - 10 hrs from CA to London. Any travel/flight hints?

Any other great hints or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,960 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to the United Kingdom.

You can drink the tap water it is perfectly safe.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,890 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to the United Kingdom.

London's tap water is very hard but quite drinkable; tastes best chilled.

When you board the flight in SFO (guesses), set your watch to London time. Try not to think 'it's X o'clock at home' but instead get on a new schedule sharpish. Drink plenty of water on board the flight. Go for a walk and get some fresh air after travelling from Heathrow to your hotel as a bit of exercise will do you good.

Clothing: a good idea to wear some and pack more. Any predictions now of the weather for June will be useful as a chocolate teapot; the forecast on the morning of your flight's departure may be completely wrong by the time you arrive in Lonodon. June does have very early sunrise and sunset at about 2115, so there is potential for long, sunny days.

Where have you booked to stay in London?

Manila
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to the United Kingdom.

for london, clothing wise, always bring a light jacket/umbrella. london's a rainy city (even during the summer) better to be secure rather than be soaking wet! Xx

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to the United Kingdom.

how long do you have in total and how do you plan getting around? I hope you arent trying to do four countries in a week.............

and the tap water is perfectly safe, but to me it tastes disgusting, I couldnt drink a glass of it neat if I tried, it needs diluting with something!!

Weather four months in advance? no chance.

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to the United Kingdom.

Would agree the water in london and the south east is not pleasant. my wife comes from yorkshire and refuses to drink the water down here in the south.

6. Re: 1st trip to the United Kingdom.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:17