We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

Will be touring Oxford on a friday and leaving from Heathrow mid Saturday morning. Would like to stay closer to Heathrow than Oxford but still in a nice spot where we can get a decent meal and maybe go to pub Friday evening. Can anyone recommend a place

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

Windsor would be the obvious choice - you can take a train changing at Slough

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,108 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

I'd stay in Oxford and get the Airport coach in the morning.

www.oxfordbus.co.uk/main.php?page_id=24

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

If you don't have a car then I'd do what wirewiper says and stay in Oxford and use the airport coach. On a Saturday it should take no more than an hour and fifteen

minutes.

I can't think of anywhere nicer to stay that close to Heathrow.

Vernon, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

I will have a car, how long a drive to Heathrow early on a Saturday Morning.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

You might think of somewhere like Marlow (off the High Wycombe M40 to M4 link road - nice riverside town - as a place to stay

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

Well I've already said the coach will take an hour and fifteen minutes so it should come as no surprise to know that the journey by car will be less. Say just under an hour, traffic permitting.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

"how long a drive to Heathrow early on a Saturday Morning."

From central Oxford, once you've navigated out of it, an hour. Problem is: to navigate out on Sat, you'll have had to navigate in on Fri, and booked an affordable hotel in Oxford handy for parking the car. Oxford's historic centre probably is the nicest place to stay within an hour of Heathrow: the Legoland chain hotels around its bypass are as charmfree and impossible to get anywhere nice from, as any airport hotels in the American Midwest

Nice hotels with easy parking and within easy walking of the sights aren't easy to find in Oxford and aren't cheap (I'd argue there are just two: the Old Parsonage and the Cotswold Lodge, but others might have newer ideas). It might be more pleasant to stay in Woodstock (70 mins from Heathrow on a Sat morning, though 60 if Mrs F's driving) or in Windsor or Marlow.

8. Re: Place to stay between Oxford and Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2014, 06:15