We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cardiff to York

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Cardiff to York

I have done a little research on here and the web. We(2 adults) need to get from Cardiff to York in late September. It seems that there isnt a direct train, so I am interested in what my options may be. I am thinking of going direct to Manchester the either stay a night or get the next train to York. What other options do we have. (happy to pay extra if its direct to York) . This trip is the last part of a holiday, we will spend 3-4 days around York, before heading to London for 3 days and flying home

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cardiff to York

To get to York from Cardiff by train can be one very easy change - at Cheltenham Spa. Get off train, stay on same platform, wait for train to York, get on it. Alternative changing points (not necessarily the same platform though ) from the same train would be Birmingham or Derby

It really really isn't a problem

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cardiff to York

Just get a train from Cardiff to Bristol Parkway and then from Bristol Parkway to York which takes 4 hours 35 mins.

Or get a train from Cardiff direct to Manchester and change for a train to York. This option will take 4 hours 45 mins.

Is there a reason why you don't want to change trains? It's very straightforward....

Edited: 05 March 2013, 22:14
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cardiff to York

You could also change at Bristol. Wherever you change the journey takes about five hours so there' s no need to stay over in Manchester

Burnie, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cardiff to York

No real reason not to change trains apart from dragging luggage around. Thanks for the replies - we didnt really want to stay in Manchester for the night. We will check out the routes you have mentioed.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cardiff to York

You need to get onto one of the Crosscountry trains that run between various points in Devon/Cornwall and various points in Scotland. These all call at York and as previous replies have said you could join it at Bristol Parkway, Cheltenham or Birmingham New Street by travelling from Cardiff.

We'll eliminate New Street as no sane person would choose to change there if there was an alternative and it would involve changing platforms. Also the platform that you arrive on and depart from would not be certain and could change at the last minute. Unnecessary lugging cases and confusion.

If you go to Cheltenham or Bristol Parkway your train out shoud depart from the same platform as the train from Cardiff that you arrive on so not much dragging of luggage at all. Personally I would go to Parkway as then the train you are on from Cardiff is one of the big First Great Western ones towards London - better for travelling with luggage. If going to Cheltenham you'd either be on a smaller crosscountry train which are ok or an Arriva ones which are not really designed for large cases.

6. Re: Cardiff to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 06:17