We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which castle to visit in England?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Which castle to visit in England?

Hi, would like to know if anyone has a suggestion on which castle to see in England. We will have a hire car and be travelling around Bath, Oxford, Derby and then up to Edinburgh (can go east or west coast or up the centre). We wont be going to Wales. We have already seen Windsor castle. More interested in a less touristy castle than Alnwick and Warwick castles. Hoping to see a magnificent English castle with lots of history.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

Look up Kenilworth Castle as one option. Not nearly so well know as Warwick. It' s largely in ruins, but with some intact buildings & a modest garden.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

In fact:

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/

lets you select 'castles' and then view the results on a map to select according to your route.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

We stayed in Coombe Abbey which is near Manchester. Beautiful stone castle with beautiful gardens. The price was right too. Under £100 for one night on a holiday weekend.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

There is a list of castles in England on Wikipedia. The only ones I can think of that aren't ruins are way off your proposed route - Arundel and Dover.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

Just thought of one that's still in decent condition and in your general direction - Skipton in Yorkshire. My recollection is that it's more residential than military but might be worth checking out

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

< My recollection is that it's more residential than military but might be worth checking out >

Cromwell bashed it about a bit but the then owner Lady Anne Clifford convinced Cromwell that she should be allowed to repair it.

And how many places have a castle at the top of their High Street

Edited: 08 March 2013, 09:31
Canterbury, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

I know it's not near your route - but you surely can't go on a castle tour without visiting King Arthur's!

Tintagel is an old castle with spectacular views - english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

Thank you for all your replies! And especially for the web addresses. I will check them all out.

8. Re: Which castle to visit in England?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:17