We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Itinerary - Include SW or Scotland??

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Best Itinerary - Include SW or Scotland??

We have been to the UK just once before (London, Wales, Midlands, Cotswolds) and are pining to return. We have plans to visit London for four nights, Wiltshire (Bath, Avebury, Stonehenge, Lacock, Salisbury/Winchester for another four nights. We then have two choices for a trip extension before we head to the Lake District and York. These are presented below - we would value you feedback on which would be best and the reasons why:

OPTION ONE

London - train to Wiltshire - car to Devon (2 nights farm, castle or lighthouse) - and then into Cornwall (4 nights):

This option would add in Tintagal, Glastonbury, any events in the area (August) and enable us to continue on with our exploration of the Legend of Arthur in Wales from the previous trip to the UK, find some oceanside views, explore history and sights in area - we would then either (i) drive up to the Lake District (a long drive but it might allow stops e.g .to see the grave of Prince John or the Beatles museum in Liverpool, Blackpool Leisure Park, depending on length of the drive) or (ii) we would drop the car and take a train from Cornwall to the Lake District.

From the Lake District we would cross over to York and then either (i) drive back to London with a stop in Sherwood Forest and/or Cambridge, or (ii) train directly to London if everyone here thinks the drive would be too long to allow any stops along the way. We would stay in London for two or four nights before returning home.

OPTION TWO

London - Train to Wiltshire - then to Scotland - return stop to England at Hadrian's Wall

London - train to Wiltshire again - drop car in Bath and train up to either Glasgow or Edinburgh (which is the best city to visit of the two??) - two nights in the best city of these two choices, then four nights in a cottage in the north - quietly located with great views, some fell walks, hiking, and the chance to take a day trip out to Skye or another island. It would also be neat to visit Loch Ness and we have heard a lot about Ben Haven as well. This would enable us to get to Scotland and we would cap the trip off by trying to fit in a couple of nights in a castle near Hadrian's wall so we could explore this historical site before our return to England and continuing to York.

I think we would love the highlands as well. And if anyone here can recommend (i) the must see stops in Scotland for a six-night trip, and (ii) confrim whether or not it is worthwhile to overnight in Glasgow or Edinburgh that would be great. The two nights in the city could easily be spent somewhere else I am sure if the cities are not a must stop.

Please respond with your comments and suggestions. We would love to see Scotland and Hadrian's wall (and combining a trip with Scotland and England to see this site seems like a good idea) but we do not want to short change Scotland as we would have only six nights.

Are we better off to simply try and see Scotland separately on a return visit (if there ever is one - not sure) without Hadrian's Wall? Which trip extension (Devon/Cornwall vs. Scotland) would provide the best overall trip, with the best scenery, and best experience of the two? Which is the most logical trip considering the other stops we will be making at this time.?

It should be pointed out that we are looking at August - altogether we will have 21 to 23 nights maximum (this is already quite a bit), and the 4 nights London at the beginning, 2 or 4 London at the end, and 4 Wiltshire are already taken up - while we would love to return to Wales again, we are hoping to see something different this trip. We are travelling with a 12 and 15 year old. We enjoy being outdoors - we love great scenery!!

Thank you for your help -

Wetherby
Level Contributor
209 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Itinerary - Include SW or Scotland??

This is an almost impossible choice. Devon and Cornwall are fantastic, Scotland and North England are fantastic. If it was me I'd skip the nights in London and do both!

Devon and Cornwall offer lots of superb coastal scenery,and some fantastic coastal towns and villages. Scotland, while it also has some great coast, has more solitude and lakes and mountains (and more castles!)

Devon and Cornwall do get really busy in high holiday season and routes in can get really congested.

Edited: 14 March 2013, 23:22
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Itinerary - Include SW or Scotland??

If you opt for Cornwall try to avoid travelling on a summer Saturday or Friday evening, roads can get very very busy. Rest of the week should be okay

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Itinerary - Include SW or Scotland??

Yes - we are travelling in August - the more I read, the more I think we should avoid Cornwall/Devon and area and perhaps return one day in June/early July (besides we might be able to attend Glastonbury festival then : ) I think I'll post some options on the trip to NW England and Scotland though I'm finding we are really strapped for time on that one - we are also now limited by some tickets - I appreciate the help and the replies.

4. Re: Best Itinerary - Include SW or Scotland??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 04:17