We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel in UK

crystal beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
travel in UK

I will be traveling first from Heathrow to the Hilton Doubletree by the Tower, and then to St Ives Cornwall, returning to Heathrow via Bath. My trip will be October 2013. I am older and will be traveling alone ,with safety and security my foremost concerns, but I also need reasonable economy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel in UK

Hello! No need to be concerned about safety, this is a safe country although you should take the basic sensible precautions you would anywhere. The greatest risk you face is probably from the marauding St Ives seagulls who may try to snatch your picnic from your hand.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel in UK

Suggestions for what? I am not sure what information you are looking for. Transport? Accommodation? Tickets to specific sights? Hard to help you based on the above.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel in UK

You seem to think that "being older" (than what?) creates safety and security problems in travelling (I think). It doesn't.

Just get a train to St Ives then to Bath, then get the bus to Heathrow. Like all the rest of us..

If you want advice on cheap train fares, we'd all be delighted to help. But surely you're old enough to have found out by now that if you want help, making it clear what you want help with is a pretty crucial first step?

crystal beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: travel in UK

I would like advice on cheap train fares

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,782 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel in UK

Visit nationalrail.co.uk for train fares. Longer distance trainfares can be bought very cheaply, with cheap tickets beign released abotu 6 weeks in advance, but then selling out making the journey mroe expensive. BUT the cheap "advance" tickets are for specific trains.. if you miss it, or change your mind, you have to buy a new expensive ticket. You can also get off-peak tickets.. You just have to play around with the times on the website.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,167 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel in UK

From Heathrow to the Doubletree, take the Piccadilly Line Underground at Heathrow (no steps) to Hammersmith and cross the platform on to the eastbound District Line to Tower Hill. From there, its a couple of minutes walk to the Doubletree.

www.nationalrail.co.uk for the St Ives and Bath tickets, both destinations leave from London Paddington which is reachable by taking the Circle Line from Tower Hill to Paddington

Returning to Heathrow from Bath you could take the train back to Paddington then take the Heathrow Connect to Heathrow or train to Reading and the X25 Air Link bus from there to Heathrow www.railair.com

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel in UK

< with cheap tickets beign released abotu 6 weeks in advance >

Cheap tickets become available a maximum of 12 weeks before date of travel - if you look at eastcoast.co.uk there's a date when cheap tickets have been released to. It also shows the possible ranges of prices on routes so you have some idea of what actual costs are.

8. Re: travel in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 05:17