We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schengen question re UK

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Schengen question re UK

If I had a year to travel in Europe, could I spend 90 days in Schengen (say, Italy), then spend 90 in UK immediately following that? (And then go on to another Schengen [say, Germany])?

I was thinking 90 in Italy, 90 in Croatia, 90 in Germany, 90 in UK.

Would this be doable for a US citizen without any special Visa?

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
937 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Schengen question re UK

Anyone?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,651 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Schengen question re UK

The UK is not part of Schengen; US passport holders may enter the UK as visitors for up to six months (visa-free).

US passport holders may enter the Schengen area for up to 90 days within any 180 day period. Your passport will be stamped on entering and exiting Schengen. Without a visa, you will not be able to spend three 90 day perods in the Schengen zone in one 12 month period.

Overstaying in Schengen may / will mean refusal of entry for an extended period, usually with a fine as well. It is not worth the aggro to overstay.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Schengen question re UK

< I was thinking 90 in Italy, 90 in Croatia, 90 in Germany, 90 in UK. >

You treat the Schengen Zone as if it's one country - so you have 90 days IN TOTAL in members of the Zone in the 180 days after first entry. You cannot do what you intend as that would be 270 days in Schengen

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Schengen question re UK

" You cannot do what you intend as that would be 270 days in Schengen"

When did Croatia join Schengen?

Though Croatia is due to join the EU in July this year, it's not current,y planned to join Schengen till 2015.

So 90 days Italy, 90 days UK, 90 days Germany, 90 Croatia, 90 days (say) France is fine - if in that order.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Schengen question re UK

You may however face more detailed questioning than normal about when and how you intend to return home and how you are managing to support yourself for so long without working illegally.

All of those questions have an acceptable answer (assuming you have one and they believe you) but it's added aggro and uncertainty

Edited: 25 March 2013, 08:31
6. Re: Schengen question re UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2014, 04:17