We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

Madrid, Madrid...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

I am traveling from Madrid, Spain to Dallas, Texas on May 10th.

I go from Madrid to London City Airport then from London Heathrow Airport to Dallas.

There are 3 hours and 20 minutes between landing in London City(9:05am) and taking off at London Heathrow(12:25pm).

I am an experienced traveler (although it´s been years since I´ve been in London), but I will have 2 checked bags and a carry on.

Do you think that I will be able to make it in enough time to re-check in, make it through security and to my gate in time?

I would be willing to pay for a taxi/transfer.

If so, do you have a recommendation for a transfer company.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

Can you rebook onto a Madrid - London Heathrow flight? You will be doing yourself a big favour if you can.

Considering the recommendation is to be at Heathrow 3 hours before an Inter-continental flight, I don't think you have enough time. Others may disagree, but then I'm risk-averse when it comes to missing flights.

London
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

Is this booked as one ticket? In which case, a delay on your flight into LCY (meaning you miss the flight from Heathrow) would at least mean that the airline has to book you onto a later flight from LHR.

If this is booked as two separate tickets then I think it is very unwise.

Here’s a run through of the journey from LCY to LHR.

At best you will be out of LCY and onto the DLR by 0930. (The good thing about LCY is that you will generally be out of the airport very quickly. I’ve got from touchdown - international arrival - to DLR train in 12 minutes).

The estimated transfer time by public transport is 90 minutes which gets you to LHR at 1100 at best, but probably later than that..

You mention bags. You can make the entire journey by public transport without having to drag your bags up stairs. This is the journey.

At LCY, the station is right beside the airport door, platforms connected by escalator.

Change at Canning Town. Take the escalator and take a westbound train to Westminster. (I’ve picked Westminster because it allows you to transfer without dragging your bags). Take the escalator and take a westbound district line train to Barons Court. (Check destination - not all trains run to Barons Court).

Cross platform connection at Barons Court to Heathrow. (Check train, not all Piccadilly line trains serve Heathrow, and check which terminal it goes to).

This is a long trip, but the escalators mean it is achievable with bags.

Taking a pre booked car might reduce that transfer to an hour, but with London there is an ever present risk risk of traffic delays.

Whichever option you take you have a very short time before check in at LHR will close. BA closes 45 minutes before departure, and you must have cleared security 35 minutes before departure. If you can change your itinerary I would.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,099 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

BA sells these tickets so you'd think they'd allow a realistic time between airports - 3 hours connection is squeaky bum time and it adds to the hassle as it means going through immigration, collecting luggage, passing customs, getting to the other airport AT YOUR OWN COST, checking in, going through security when you could have done an airside transfer and have been sitting in an airport lounge for 3 hours if you didn't have to change airports

Madrid, Madrid...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

This is booked as 1 ticket. My worry is that the next flight to dallas wouldn't be until May 11th

5. Re: Transfer from London City to London Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:16