We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

How much time should I allow to drive from Huntingdon to Heathrow and drop off a hire car before my 12 pm flight on Monday 22 July 2013?

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

In theory, you can do this in about 90 minutes.

However, the stretch of the M1 and M25 that you have to drive are notorious for their delays.

If your flight is at 12 noon, I assume that you will need to check in at least 2 hours before departure which means that you will be doing this journey at rush hour on Monday morning.

I'd expect the worst and allow 3 hours... leave by 7am... It's better to be at the airport early than to miss your flight.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

My best estimation would be a good 3 hours, one in case of problems on the a14 (if I have the right one) as it may take a good 45 minutes to Cambridge or more and a good 70 minutes down to London, and then at least a good hour or two for m25 and congestion.

As an idea via the m25 Oxford is a good 2 hours from Cambridge, but really the best bet is to allow more time than you need as there a good 2 places likely for congestion the a14 and m11 although interestingly they suggest a1m. According to aa route planner you can do it in 1 hour 33 minutes which is hard to believe but that doesn't allow for hold ups.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

Given that you have to drop your car off as well... you should probably be leaving by 6am... sorry

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

Not for the first time, I suggest you ignore the ramblings of J D Taylor. You don't need to go to Cambridge at all, it takes you miles in the wrong direction, nor use the A14, and just where Oxford comes into it I really do not know. Perhaps JDT is very fond of university towns! The Google route taking just under 1 and a half hours is via A1/A421/M1/M25. From this point, just follow the advice of itsmeagain.

5. Re: Driving from Huntingdon to Heathrow Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 05:17