We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advanced Fare want to get off early

Denver
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advanced Fare want to get off early

Hello Experienced Ones. I need to book tkts from York to Glasgow mid May. There is a chance I will need to get off in Edinburgh to meet family. "It's complicated." (I have checked the times and stops -it seems to be the same train from York that goes through Edinburgh and on to Glasgow.)

While I know it would be cheating to get off and get back on in lieu of buying 2 separate tickets and that also would be unfair to go further than I've paid for, is it grossly improper to slip off in Edinburgh and not finish the trip to Glasgow?

Practically speaking, will I get caught, and what are the consequences?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

Getting off in Edinburgh - no problem at all. However you will then need to buy a new ticket to continue on to Glasgow (this will only cost you a few pounds and you can buy it at the time of travel).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

If you buy an 'Advance' ticket then you would not be allowed to get off in Edinburgh and get a later train to Glasgow. If you did then you would forfeit the ticket and have to pay the full walkon fare for the journey. You could (although it's unlikely) be prosecuted for travelling without a valid ticket.

If you buy a walkon ticket anyway (and yes you can buy them in advance) then you would normally be allowed to do this.

Your best bet may be to buy an advance ticket from York to Edinburgh and a walkon ticket on to Glasgow. You'd be covered both ways if you did this.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,677 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

Currently Edinburgh doesn't have any barriers for the long haul trains (only for the west & north bound commuter routes) and in most cases you have to change trains at Waverley anyhow - so you just get off and walk out

London
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

To answer the two parts of your question.

"will I get caught" Unlikely - but not totally impossible.

"what are the consequences?" - although this sounds like a completely Alice in Wonderland situation, you would actually be treated as if you'd travelled without any ticket, and may be subject to a penalty fare and/or possible prosecution. This is very unlikely - but you need to know that there have been cases where people have been charged for getting off early. I hasten to add I am not defending this policy of the rail industry - I think they are behaving like their own worst enemy with this draconian policy.

Denver
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

Thanks everyone. If I get off in Edinburgh, I won't be going on to Glasgow at all (at least mot on the train.) That's why I thought it didn't seem too bad that I was just getting off early at Edinburgh with no thought of continuing the trip later.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

I'd probaby grab an advance to Edinburgh (as that's the most costly part of your jourmey). Then you can get another train from there to Gasgow if needed.

Remember to book 12 weeks in advance of your travel date to get the best deals. Use the train company website http://www.eastcoast.co.uk

Worksop, United...
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World, Kissimmee
Level Contributor
9,874 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

Just to re-affirm: the conditions applicable to Advance tickets DISallow ANY change to the stated journey, and that includes alighting before the destination shown on the ticket. IF you are inspected at Edinburgh with an Advance fare to Glasgow, you will be subject to the same penalties as if you had travelled with no ticket at all. I can't comment on how likely it is, that you will be inspected at Edinburgh, though.

8. Re: Advanced Fare want to get off early

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:18